Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SUBSTITUTE FOR METAL THIMBLES >

SUBSTITUTE FOR METAL THIMBLES

SUBSTITUTE FOR METAL THIMBLES

Old 12-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Hey folks......has anyone tried the rubber sorter thumbs found in office supply stores? I've used them for years and find them very satisfactory...never could get used to the traditional thimble..it felt like trying to walk with one foot stuck in a bucket.

These "rubber thumbs" even come in different sizes...because I have fat fingers, Staples ordered some for me in a larger size. They are cheap and disposable when they eventually get punctured too many time with the needle. Enjoy?
Old 12-05-2007, 04:27 PM

I've never used them but my daughter uses them and really likes them. She uses them on a different finger than her thimble to help pull the needle through the fabric.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 PM

I like the leather ones with the elastic - they don't hold up forever, but my fingers "breathe" while being protected. I have a feeling needles would go right through those finger protectors, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM

I make my own out of scrap leather, they usually become lost or "borrowed" before they wear out.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM

I like the leather ones that have a metal dimple in them. it feels good, fits good and I get the sewing done.
Deb
Old 12-09-2007, 03:41 PM

I've tried several different types of thimbles and find most more of a pain than their worth - they get in the way of my thumb and forefinger. The best one so far is the little black leather one because it stretches to fit my finger and stays on fairly well, but I'm going to try the rubber ones anyway. Already have some so if it doesn't work for me nothing is lost. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 12-10-2007, 07:12 AM

I use the leather ones as well, They fit well, cling to the finger and Mine hasn't worn out yet, They cover the finger as well as extend alittle ways.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:55 PM

This is the kind of thimble I prefer. :D It is leather but has a hard plastic back which I think will help it to last a long time. :roll: They come in different sizes too. I bought them at walmart sometime ago. 3 to a package. :shock: I use it on my ring finger with the top on top of my finger to push the needle so my thumb and index are free to pull the needle and allows my finger to breath which is a plus and the reason I didn't like the others.

thimble
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5062[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5062.jpe  
Old 12-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

DebJ I have never seen a thimble like that . It kind of looks like a ring . I use the metal thimbles . I don't really like them , but is what I am used to . They do make your finger sweat and sometimes my nail gets soft .

I had bought some rubber finger tips at Walmart a couple years ago but didn't fit my fingers . They were too big , I have small fingers . Does that thimble come in different sizes ?

Hand sewing is painful without a thimble ! I have done that a few times . Wished later I hadn't , sore fingers !

Happy Quilting to All
Annie
Old 12-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Debj...I have one of those also take a pic and show how you have it on your finger i can not ust it maybe i am using it wrong. I got mine from Walmart also...Thank you Jerrie