Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!  How do you prepare a 106 inch wide fabric for your backing?? >

Help!! How do you prepare a 106 inch wide fabric for your backing??

Help!! How do you prepare a 106 inch wide fabric for your backing??

Old 09-02-2015, 06:37 PM

My LA was not only concerned with size of backing but also with if it had a direction that the pattern ran in the backing, if any. I let her size it, she was happy and gave me the extra back.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 PM

I have found that many, if not all, wide backings are crooked. They are not cut on the grain. I tear mine to get a straight grain cut. I load mine on my longarm and I get a much better backing this way.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

I agree, I would tear it after washing it. No need to make sure the backing is square unless I don't know something about LAQ. I always would tear my borders and binding for queen size quilts too.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:23 AM

When I worked at our local quilt shop, we tore the wide backings to keep it on the straight of grain when a customer was purchasing it.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:41 AM

First you're talking BATIK!! I ALWAYS wash my Batiks first (sometimes they need to be washed more than once), they have been known to run, run, run.
Also you will have shrinkage of your backing, so before I would try to cut it again I would wash and dry it.
Also if you're sending it out to a LA, how much overhang do they want? And then are you pulling the backing to the front for binding or are you adding a different binding?
Good luck
Old 09-03-2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I know a lot will gasp in horror, but when I square up wide fabric I tear it. I always prewash, then press, then tear to get my cut edges on straight of grain. Then I leave the whole piece as is and don't cut it down until I trim after quilting.

I, too, always tear.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:53 AM

Prepare as normal. Lay top in one corner and cut around, saving as much as possible. Just me. Seems to save bigger pieces than just 4 strips.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I want to send this out to a long-arm quilter so I need to have it sized properly.

Is it not as important to have your backing straight of grain? If that is the answer, then that will relieve a lot of my stress in figuring out how to handle such a large piece of fabric.
You did not mention sending out for LAQ in your original post. Contact your LAQ to see what she wants done. I don't even want selvages cut off of wide backing when I get it. I will often load with the selvage on the leader if I can. Then I am assured a nice straight edge is being loaded on my leaders. Ask you Longarmer what is best for her (or him) before doing any cutting. I also strongly encourage prewashing if this is a batik. You will then need to press it to get out any wrinkles.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
You did not mention sending out for LAQ in your original post. Contact your LAQ to see what she wants done. I don't even want selvages cut off of wide backing when I get it. I will often load with the selvage on the leader if I can. Then I am assured a nice straight edge is being loaded on my leaders. Ask you Longarmer what is best for her (or him) before doing any cutting. I also strongly encourage prewashing if this is a batik. You will then need to press it to get out any wrinkles.
totally agree with this. Your long armer will want that selvage to attach to leader and while I like to have the backing press so not a wrinkled mess, don't get anxious if there are creases from folding it--I'll put it on the frame and use a mist (usually the night before I intend to start the quilting)and roll the rollers back and forth to get the fold lines out. With wideback, I prefer to tear it after washing it--seems like it's more "off grain" than regular width due to the double folding and wrapping on the bolt. I've seem it be as much as 10" off straight of grain! So leaving all that extra will be appreciated by your LA.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 AM

I tore my fabric yesterday. It was the only way to make sure it was truly straight! No gasp from here!