Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist! >

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

Old 04-18-2016, 12:20 PM

difficult directions, lack of confidence/skill for project, time and energy as these 2 seem to go hand and hand, small child that is clingy and a mamas girl, the internet(new patterns, fabrics, distraction)
Old 04-18-2016, 12:46 PM

I also couldn't understand how I could acquire UFO's but I did. I'd finished making the tops for 5 quilts and/or wallhanging and then got the "winter time blues" so nothing got done. One year I'd only started and completed one over sized baby quilt. I'm now glad to say all my UFO's are done, done, done. I've now started 5 quilts to date. Got all the pieces cut and sections assembled for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery started back in November 2015, a BOM at my local fabric store called Sangria so that one will take the entire year to finish, a quilt for the next couple in line at my congregation and a set of twins' quilts for my massage lady due in late July. I have the blocks done for the couple's quilt and have the 1st row of blocks put together, I'm up to date on the BOM and I'm sewing all the strips to the twins' quilts one strip a day for 80 blocks. I'm also making up 2 over sized pillow cases for 2 last 2 UFO's I finished recently. Plus I'm quilting 3 quilts for friends though I rarely quilt for others. So I guess I have a full plate. I also have 11 more projects lined up for this year or maybe even next year when I get what I have started finished. I'm going to try not to end up with UFO's anymore..................I wonder how long that will last????
Old 04-18-2016, 12:54 PM

Too many ideas = can't keep up. Translation: I get bored part way through a piece and all those other ideas seem much more interesting so they get started LOL.

Does that mean I'm fickle or just ADD????

I do eventually finish my UFOs.

Rob
Old 04-18-2016, 01:58 PM

I have 2 UFO's (something I said I would NEVER have when I started quilting...) One is a king size top for myself but as it went along I became scared to death about having to quilt that thing in my machine. Also, here in Texas where the weather is mostly hot I think it's going to be too heavy for me. So, I've put it away before I decide just what to do with it. I'm thinking about no batting at all & maybe just tying it instead of quilting it. It's just too daunting to even think about it...plus I haven't even finished the blocks yet!

The second one is mine also...a lap quilt that DD & I are sort of making together. She's helping me with the colors & I'm piecing the blocks. We were using a freebie quilt program (sort of like E7) and she was making the color selections from it. My laptop computer crashed & I lost the little free program & she got busy & we haven't gotten back to it.

Other than those 2, I've finished everything else I've ever started.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:20 PM

I do the very same as paper princess. no ufo's
Old 04-18-2016, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

My mojo comes and goes so I usually have one or two UFOs because I don't start that many.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Three Saturday Samplers (blocks are done, just need to decide on sashing and borders. One King-size quilt that has all of the blocks and setting blocks made, need to add sashing and borders. One little quilt that is from an appliqué class that I never finished. One wall hanging that needs to be quilted. And one quilt that needs binding. Wow I'd better get busy!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:43 PM

I have a few UFOs that were started in classes, and after the classes were over, I lost interest in them. Most of the time, though, the problem is that I hate the quilting part and am not excited to do that job.

Leslie
Old 04-18-2016, 06:01 PM

I have more UFO's then I want to admit! Here is my reasoning. One day fabric will be so expensive that no one will be able to afford it! That's when I will be grateful for all my UFO's so I can still keep sewing!
Old 04-18-2016, 07:16 PM

I have 4 UFO's. They are completely finished tops. I have been hand quilting my tops, but have fallen behind because if the length of time it takes to hand quilt. I need to find someone to custom machine quilt these four tops. I have been on a longarmer's waiting list for several months, but just found out she is moving out if state, so my search for someone begins again. I wouldn't mind buying the machine necessary to machine quilt my own, but at my age, I don't think it would be a good investment. I have backing and batting for each top, even the binding ready. I must send them out soon.