Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist! >

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:22 PM

I have a friend that joins lots of BOM's every year and works all year on the blocks. So using that as the model, I'm "joining" lots of different projects each year and working on them throughout the year. Yea, that works--except for the fact that some of those WIP go on for more than a year! That being said I have no guilt about having many projects in various states of being--some days I want to quilt on the long arm, some I like to sit and piece, some days I want to work inEQ7 and sketch designs, some days I want to cut, etc. Although I do have to admit that Sunday I spent 3 hours cleaning and organizing my sewing room--actually I was looking for the binding for a quilt waiting in line for the long arm.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 PM

Why do I have UFO's? Hmmm
1) My favourite part of quilting is combing through my fabric and creating blocks and the quilt top
2) FMQ quilting on my DSM can be frustrating and I find it becomes monotonous quickly, so I procrastinate on that step, all my UFOs are quilt tops waiting to be quilted.

I've joined the QB UFO challenge group - it has helped me focus on finishing, so far this year I've completed 11 quilts/quilty things with their encouragement. I've also committed to not buying any more fabric or starting any new quilts until the UFOs are done. It is very satisfying to finally be finishing projects that have been idling for years.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:08 AM

I LOVED reading all your comments!

skhf - I also spend more time looking at quilts than actually sewing, ha, ha!
quiltingcat - I agree with you, Works in Progress sounds much better! That's what I'll call mine too.
twinkle - I think that top is absolutely beautiful! I love those bright, happy colours.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:44 AM

I love the whole process of quilting but some days I feel like cutting, some days I feel like piecing & some days I feel like quilting so I do have several started at one time. Also I have several tops made that are in bins so I always can quickly make a gift if I need to. Also I get distracted with new techniques or patterns I have to try. It is all fun though & it works for me. I would like it though to not have so many going at one time though & to finish more of my tops.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:41 AM

I think of mine as WIPs also... I have had one quilt that (when I started it 3 years ago) was a bit over my head. I have finally finished the top and have cut the borders to attach. So technically, I'm still working on it. LOL

I have two other projects that get my attention every week so they are still WIPs. Like a few other members, I discipline myself from starting a new project until I get at least one of them done. One of the two is my Allietare...
Old 04-19-2016, 03:42 AM

Most of my UFO's are finished tops that I need to quilt or finish quilting. It takes me a while to decide what to quilt. In some cases, my quilting plan is so ambitious, I'm afraid to start.
Here's the list off the top of my head.
1. Queen Radiant Star. About half quilted. Borders are marked for cabled feathers. Must be completed by August.
2. Full/queen English Paper Pieced star quilt. Basted, can't remember what I wanted to quilt on it.
3. Baby quilt- Oh, Baby! from Anka's Treasures. Need a baby boy name to appliqué on it.
4. Quilt top for SIL. Just pieced the top in March at retreat, so I'm in no hurry.
5. Queen sized 'Fresh' quilt by Camile Roskelley from her book Simply Retro. Used Marmalade fabrics. My quilting plan is very ambitions and probably will require me to learn to use rulers on my DSM.
6. 5 Table runners. All Anka's Treasure designs. Three of them even have backs.
7. Panel Sailor Dog Baby Quilt. I'd like to have a baby boy name to embroider on the hat before quilting it.

So, yes, I have UFO's. I also have 4 quilt tops in progress. WIP's
1. My leaders and enders project Goose Creek from Quilters Cache. The blocks are complete and have been trimmed to the correct size. Just need to lay it out and sew it together.
2. My Sew Club project is Lattice Squares, the blocks are about half done. I like that it's a compact project that I can grab quickly to pack for my once a month quilt days at church.
3. Lori Holt Bloom Quilt along. I'm a week behind, but have the pieces stitched and turned with the interfacing, so assembling the flower on the blocks doesn't take much time.
4. Gypsy Wife Quilt along- Doing this quilt along with a Facebook group from the quilt camp I attend. I'm keeping up, and soon will start assembling. I'm amazed at how long it takes to make each block. Choosing colors and figuring out each block as opposed to making dozens of a single block. It's been eye opening.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:01 AM

I just finished a quilt top yesterday morning -- one which I began in a wonderful class two years ago!! I had everything already cut and in baggies with labels. It was just a matter of sewing everything together. Why had I waited so long to finish it? I had other projects which intrigued me more: quilts for a family reunion, Christmas gifts, baby gifts -- and two musical comedies which I helped costume. It's done now, though, so it will go into the boxes which are marked "Finished Quilt Tops." It will be in good company there. Gee, I wish I liked quilting as much as I like piecing!!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I get all "gung ho" about a new project and halfway through, I see something else I want to try. Things get put aside and wait sometimes for quite a while before they are finished.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:58 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I prefer to say I'm working on my PHD - projects half done.
An intelligent answer!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 AM

Alas, I have about 6 almost finished tops, 1 for a granddaughter who was dating a guy about 6'6" tall and I made her quilt extra long. I just need to sandwich and quilt. 1 from Linda Fiedler class about 20 years ago which needs to be put together; the blocks are finished.d Another is a guild-mystery quilt. Again, the blocks are finished, but need to be put together. 4 is a large block modern type top for my granddaughter who works for the forestry department and camps out a lot. A string quilt to be put together. Get the picture? I seem not to be able to finish anything, but I am 80 and have a bad back and constant sciatica. I have given away my stash and most of my tools But I do hope to finish them before I die! Oh! one other--a kit from the 50's. Groan.