Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I can't stop! >
  • I can't stop!

• I can't stop!

Old 05-29-2016, 10:03 AM

Sounds pretty normal to me. It's all yours to do with whatever you want.
    Old 05-29-2016, 11:05 AM
    Power Poster

1. Look at your schedule.
    2. Pull out the UFO you want to finish.
    3. Put all other things away.
    4. FINISH that UFO.
    5. Play with crumbs.
    rinse and repeat.

Maybe you are overwhelmed with all the UFOs and can't see the forest for the trees. I know the feeling and the above is what I do (or at least try to do).
    Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 PM

There is nothing wrong with doing that. Sometimes you just need to go with it. Maybe it is just your brain's way of having a rest and creating without any stress. Sort of a 'cleansing'. When it is done, you will be able to jump back into projects and UFOs fresh and ready. Maybe that will be tomorrow or maybe just when you run out of scraps!!
    Old 05-29-2016, 06:07 PM

I've been in similar slumps too. Also have several UFO's to finish. So, to work on one particular UFO, I used the pieces/piecing for that project as leader/enders while I was working on something else and, I was amazed - - - I had finished several more blocks. It also get me re-interested in that UFO.

Bottom line, try doing some of the piecing for one project as leader/ender while you're working on something else.

You're actually working on two quilts at a time!!
    Old 05-30-2016, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

I don't think there is anything wrong with you, working on quilt blocks from your scrap bin is still quilting and if you love it, just do it. I've been working hard to make items for a craft table I have for the strawberry festival at my church the end of June, and I've been getting quite a bit done, however, occasionally I just have to stop with those and do something else, something different. I for one would like to see those quilt blocks you have made, I'm sure they are beautiful. Besides, like housework, those UFO's will still be there when you're ready to work on them.
    Old 05-30-2016, 04:56 AM

I agree with justflyingin. I am having the same issue with not wanting to complete any UFO's that I've started. I have two quilts to finish for a client, and for the life of me, just can't get with it. Hopefully after this weekend, I will get the energy and motivation.
    Old 05-30-2016, 03:11 PM

I keep even the smallest scrap and I have a bag at my quilting table. The bigger pieces go in a bucket and anything I think I won't use goes into a bag that I donate to a lady that makes dog beds for the Humane Society. At $12 a yard, I feel I am using it all. I bet you could find someone in your area that would love your scraps...yes, I do find when I am using scraps the bucket never gets a dent in it! It stays full no matter how much I use.
    Old 05-30-2016, 06:56 PM

I understand, I do the same thing! But I've realized it is soothing, it is what I need to do at that time, I can relax & just let my mind wander. So just go with it, you'll get back to the other projects. At my age (76) if I don't sew what my mood is telling me it isn't as satisfying.
    Old 06-02-2016, 12:55 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    It just means that you are in the mood to make "string and crumb" blocks. Just go with the flow. Eventually you'll get back to making up some of those gorgeous things you've started.
    I completely agree with this. Pat yourself on the back for being productive and don't
    worry about it.
    Worry is one of these things (and I use that word for lack of another),...it's one of
    these things that feeds off our anxiousness.
    One day you'll get up and pick up something different and off you'll go.
    I am the queen of "overthink it". When I stop thinking and grab something I get
    different results and I'm amazed that "I" can be spontaneous once in a while too
    Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolaiken
    I find myself going to the strings and scraps (my grandmother called it piddling!) when something is either bothering me or I have something on my mind. Once I work through whatever it is I go back to what I was working on. I don't see it has a problem, just a detour.
    hey, I like this idea.
    I have different moods on different days, so why should I force myself to work on something
    I'm not doing my best on? thank you, carol