Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Jaw Dropping Price on Featherweight! >

Jaw Dropping Price on Featherweight!

Jaw Dropping Price on Featherweight!

Old 09-24-2016, 02:02 AM

Some of my friends find good deals on FW but they pay more than the asking price because they realize that the seller does not have a clue. Both parties win.
Sandy
Old 09-24-2016, 09:13 AM

I found my 222K & carry case on Ebay for $65 including shipping and in excellent serviced condition. No one was bidding on it because it was located in EU. I had to wait 2 months for it to get here but it was better than paying the $800 to $1,500 I seen online without shipping. I justified it by saying I didn't get a deal on the $800 penguin walking foot I had previously bought and which didn't fit any of my other 6 antique machines.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 AM

I paid $40 including the table, case, book, attachments and extras. Its in excellent condition. It belonged to the girl's deceased mother and she just wanted to sell it! She asked at my friends quilt guild, but nobody was interested, so my friend called me. I called the girl and met her at a local super market and purchased it immediately. Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time. Don't lose heart, your turn will come.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:15 PM

These machines were certainly bargains, esp. the 222 FW. I got my black FW on EBay about 5 years ago for $225.00 (+$25 for shipping). I thought it was a deal. About a year later I found a white one on CL for $100. I immediately called the guy and went and got it for $80. He just lived about 10 minutes from me. I think between finding it on CL, calling the guy and picking it up took me about 30 minutes. I was soooo happy
Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lmc8 View Post
I found my 222K & carry case on Ebay for $65 including shipping and in excellent serviced condition. No one was bidding on it because it was located in EU. I had to wait 2 months for it to get here but it was better than paying the $800 to $1,500 I seen online without shipping. I justified it by saying I didn't get a deal on the $800 penguin walking foot I had previously bought and which didn't fit any of my other 6 antique machines.
Didn't the UK machine run on 220 direct current? I own two FWs stateside and one in the UK. I bought the UK FW on EbayUK for my daughter to use while she was living there. She came back to America but has the FW stored with her mother in law in England.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I did reply and asked if they had any idea what Featherweights are going for--in our area a MINIMUM of 200, but in his/her area (DC suburbs) people are asking $300-$500. They're probably not GETTING more than 400, but still..
I can't see any reason to tell a seller this once his/her sale has been made. I would feel so stupid and foolish if someone told me that. Everyone can't know everything....
Old 10-03-2016, 06:52 PM

He runs an estate auction business in the DC/ northern VA area where quilting is popular and there's affluence. he replied that yes, he did know the going price, but that he was working on selling small stuff among things worth thousands of dollars and this little sewing machine was like his "deal of the day" / loss leader to generate auction interest and clear out low-ticket items. He said he had other sewing machines too if I wanted, but I only wanted a FW. So yes, I had a good reason to tell him after the fact-- my reason to tell him was to help his future business. It would be stupid if he did the same thing again after being -unless he really does generate the auction frenzy this way.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I can't see any reason to tell a seller this once his/her sale has been made. I would feel so stupid and foolish if someone told me that. Everyone can't know everything....
Old 10-03-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
He runs an estate auction business in the DC/ northern VA area where quilting is popular and there's affluence. he replied that yes, he did know the going price, but that he was working on selling small stuff among things worth thousands of dollars and this little sewing machine was like his "deal of the day" / loss leader to generate auction interest and clear out low-ticket items. He said he had other sewing machines too if I wanted, but I only wanted a FW. So yes, I had a good reason to tell him after the fact-- my reason to tell him was to help his future business. It would be stupid if he did the same thing again after being -unless he really does generate the auction frenzy this way.
I agree with SewBizGirl. Its called free enterprise. He can sell his stuff for whatever he wants, and if he discounts stuff then his loss is someone else's gain. Sounds like he knew exactly what he was doing. Your advice may have been well intended, but I'd have found it condescending.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 AM

Yep, my niece sold my Mother's featherweight at a yard sale for $35.00. I didn't know it was being sold until after the fact. Makes me so mad. She should have ask me if I wanted it before she sold it. I don't even want to talk to her.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
Yep, my niece sold my Mother's featherweight at a yard sale for $35.00. I didn't know it was being sold until after the fact. Makes me so mad. She should have ask me if I wanted it before she sold it. I don't even want to talk to her.
I'd be furious, too! That was another thing I was thinking about this auction guy--I wouldn't hire him !