Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HSTs (half square triangles) >
  • HSTs (half square triangles)

• HSTs (half square triangles)

Old 07-05-2019, 10:23 AM

For smaller HSTs, I use this website for a paper template, no trimming required.
    http://quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Half-Square-Triangle.html

For larger HSTs, I use the Easy Angle ruler (similar to the Bonnie Hunter ruler mentioned above).
    Old 07-05-2019, 11:00 AM

Thought I'd mention that mostly I deal with scraps so already small pieces and minimal repeats which is one of the reasons why the square technique works well for me and why I'm not concerned with maximum fabric usage.

In the past and when making a planned quilt, I will make/use a grid if I want more than 8 repeats. It's a wonderful thing!

Was thinking the other day about before rotary cutting and learning just the now basic concepts of chain piecing. I remember when the light bulb went on over my head that I could cut both sides of the HST at the same time by laying out strips and not cutting a kazillion triangles that I then had to put together! I used to devour the cutting technique articles in QNM... and I really believe in the right tool for the right job for the right person and the right project.

Our work styles and the ways our brains work are all different and it is wonderful that there are so many options.
    Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW
    If you’re going to be making lots of hsts, this tool is worth it. There is no need to cut large and trim down. There is no waste. It’s good for other uses, too, as shown in the video. I love mine.

https://youtu.be/KKQ9VS8e0lI
    This looks like a great tool that I might like to have. But someone should show her how to use the startie-stoppie. It needs to be cut off and added at the end of the seam to keep the threads from tangling before the next seam. They are wonderful.
    Old 07-07-2019, 12:31 PM

I oversize 1” rather than 7/8”. I cut down using the blocloc rulers. Worth the money. Perfect every time!
    Old 07-07-2019, 12:45 PM
    Power Poster

Iceblossom your above first quilt is absolutely beautiful.
    Old 07-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Thanks Jingle, that's a Ladies Art Company pattern called Mayflower and I haven't seen it in many books or collections. It's basically Winding Ways but with a single background (at least how I did it) and no curve. It's a puffy batt and a large orange peel quilting design.

After many years of making quilts for other people, all my own quilts were in tatters and so I've started a series where I will end up with a quilt for me for each month of the year. I think that's enough... This one being Mayflower is for May. Usually I do borders but this project I wanted to be a modern homage to what I would call a 30's Wash Quilt, a humble quilt meant for use and went edge to edge. The fabrics came from my swapping days, each block is different and most came from a swapped 10" square. It is simply put together as light/dark, but then the trimmings in the broken dish top are sorted in diagonal color ways.

I talk sometimes about my vision issues, this top was one of the first I completed after a rather trying period when I had to go for three months without any vision correction because my eyes were basically having spasms and rapidly changing shape. I'm fully legally blind without correction and can't do the computer or sew or watch tv or do much of anything really.

So I had done the sew on the diagonal before with tiny cat ears before, but this was really the first time I used it as an adaptive technique. Man, for someone with vision issues or not, the results were fast and precise! The white corners on the Mayflower blocks are a 2.5" finished size and then the remainders used in the Broken Dish one were 2" finished. I think the pictures show that they finished well, but all you have is my word that they required basically no trimming

Even I who works in scraps would hesitate to throw away the cuttings from more than about a 2" square. Just would feel bad -- unless I had to do a bunch of very precise HST in a short amount of time and then I could live with it!
    Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 AM

If you’re going to be making lots of hsts, this tool is worth it. There is no need to cut large and trim down. There is no waste. It’s good for other uses, too, as shown in the video. I love mine.

This also reminds me of the Easy Angle Ruler and Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle Ruler. There's probably a dozen different one's out there that do about the same thing. Several times I've bought a new "specialty" ruler only to get it home and realize I already have one that does the same thing.

The method that Gay suggested I've done using the Strip Tube ruler from Cozy Quilts. Just things to keep in mind before rushing off and getting something new...
    Old 07-09-2019, 03:08 AM

I have a modest ruler collection but I might have to add this one to it. Thanks for the post.
    Old 07-09-2019, 04:37 PM

I am a Thangles lover. I have also drawn my own HST papers when I need a specific size. I have never had good luck with measuring with rulers. I find that paper piecing my HSTs always come out accurately. I have also printed free HST paper at www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca website (mentioned above).