Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HSTs (half square triangles) >

HSTs (half square triangles)

HSTs (half square triangles)

Old 07-04-2019, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
If you’re going to be making lots of hsts, this tool is worth it. There is no need to cut large and trim down. There is no waste. It’s good for other uses, too, as shown in the video. I love mine.

https://youtu.be/KKQ9VS8e0lI
Oh! I've never seen this. This is pretty awesome!

Thanks for sharing this link!
Old 07-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I just ordered this tool for $5.00. I have to wait a bit since it is coming for China. Free postage. I am always leery of ordering from over seas this way but since the cost was so low I took the plunge. Sounds like a nice notion to help with the hst's and other angles.
I hope it is the same one. I ordered a ruler from China that fit the description and had the same name but the measurement lines were off. I returned it through Amazon without a problem. The real thing wasn't that expensive about $15 for a quality ruler.

For a lot of hsts I use my Go die cut machine or Thangles if I don't have the right size die.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Gay

The strip method should not need any trimming.
For 2 ½" HSTs you won't need the strips to be 2 ½", I think 2 ¼" is wide enough.
Try a test piece (this is what I'll be doing later - testing widths I mean).
Just join two fabrics along both sides, place a normal square ruler so the 2 ½" marks are lined up on the seam line and cut on the blue lines marked. Turn ruler around and cut from the other side.
If you begin with a suitable width you can even cut off the dog ears as you go & no waste.
The edges will be on the bias, but try starching first to keep them firm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614522[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hst-strips.jpg  
Old 07-05-2019, 02:21 AM

I used to use Tiger Tape for HSTs before I found the Easy Angle ruler. You align the tape between the corners, sew on either side, remove the tape, and cut corner to corner. I now usually place two squares right sides together, cut them corner to corner, then sew them. It's the old fashioned way of making HSTs but works best for me, even with tiny pieces.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:43 AM

Triangulations! It’s a computer program of pdf’s. You decide how large you need them finished, go to that page in the pdf and print. You sew multiple completed, yes, completed hst!
Old 07-05-2019, 06:14 AM

Wow! I did not realize how many ways there were to make HSTs and I think I want to try most of them to see how they come out for me. I've done the thangles thing and they do work pretty well. Of course, you have to take the paper off after the sewing. I'm not fond of that.

I don't have one of those rulers but I'd spend $15 for one that works. I'll see if I can't find one at my LQS yard sale next weekend.

I don't have a cutter and don't think I want to buy one of those. But one of the ideas you all have given me might just become my favorite. I'll let you all know.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-05-2019 at 07:26 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-05-2019, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
The strip method should not need any trimming.
For 2 ½" HSTs you won't need the strips to be 2 ½", I think 2 ¼" is wide enough.
Try a test piece (this is what I'll be doing later - testing widths I mean).
Just join two fabrics along both sides, place a normal square ruler so the 2 ½" marks are lined up on the seam line and cut on the blue lines marked. Turn ruler around and cut from the other side.
If you begin with a suitable width you can even cut off the dog ears as you go & no waste.
The edges will be on the bias, but try starching first to keep them firm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614522[/ATTACH]
The strips could be cut at a 45 degree angle and then sewn together.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:30 AM

I follow the rule of adding 1" for making 2 at a time. They come out beautifully. Need trimming of course. There is an easy pattern for making 8 at a time, too.
You mark a line diagonally and sew 2 seams at 1/4" each side of the line.

Last edited by Kitsie; 07-05-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I dug out my years old first hst ruler. I'd forgotten how great it was to make hsts. It's called Wonder Cut ruler. I think I bough it about 20 years ago? Wow I'm getting old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKOTxsSmpZo
Old 07-05-2019, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
If you’re going to be making lots of hsts, this tool is worth it. There is no need to cut large and trim down. There is no waste. It’s good for other uses, too, as shown in the video. I love mine.

https://youtu.be/KKQ9VS8e0lI
I recently bought this tool and I love it. Its also great for joining binding pieces together.