Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Judging >

Quilt Judging

Quilt Judging

Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 AM

I get discouraged when I see so many custom quilted quilts in shows. I'm a hand quilter and have begun to feel that we are no longer appreciated. It also bugs me because it seems like a betrayal of quilting's origins. Nowadays you're made to feel like you can't compete if you don't have a $10,000 machine. Considering that not that long ago quilting was about necessity and making do, we may have gone too far in the other direction.

My mother had an acquaintance who sent her pieced top to a quilter in another state. Then she had the gall to enter it in our local show as her work. My mother was appalled and told her so.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:39 AM

If you check out the larger shows, you will see that there are separate categories for hand quilting, long arm quilting and domestic machine quilting. You certainly don’t need an expensive machine to win awards at those shows. One of my quilts has won awards at 3 different shows and it was quilted on my domestic PQ1500s that I bought used for $350.

Rob
Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 AM

I was pleased this year to see in our local quilt show prize book that it said that all quilts must be pieced and quilted by the competitor!
It also stated that quilts will be judged on "Uniqueness and creativity", so at least people know what they are up against. The quilts are not going to be judged by normal "quilt show" rules, obviously.

I enter my quilts because I enjoy seeing them hanging and I want to support the local fair as there are fewer and fewer entries each year. I don't expect to win and it's a bonus and makes me smile if I get a ribbon.

Watson
Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I encourage you to look up the award winning quilts by Janet Stone and Sherry Reynolds (just google images of Janet Stone quilts or Sherry Reynolds quilts). Make sure you have a basket handy for your jaw, because it will drop. Both of these extremely talented ladies do all their own quilting on domestic machines. I have been fortunate to see at least 4 of Janet's quilts in person and I have seen Sherry's most recent quilt Eternal Beauty. The workmanship is amazing. Also all of Janet's applique is raw edge fusible stitched down with a blanket stitch. She has taken numerous AQS BOS awards with her charming quilts.

Also look at the work by Diane Gaudynski another phenomenal DSM quilter.

It is possible to do this kind of quilting on a DSM. I never enjoyed the process of sitdown quilting but boy do I love standup quilting on a rack. I am in awe of people who can do that kind of work on a domestic and I strongly feel some of their tiny little fills would be hard to replicate in the same scale with a LA. I can do some tiny stuff with mine but not like they can!
Thanks Feline, I will look at the work of the quilters you mentioned. I don't intend to enter my quilts in shows, I just want to try different things that are not super complex, but make my quilts look good
Old 08-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Well in my opinion there are cuddle quilts, bed quilts, wall art. I love that there is so much variety.

As for shows if you don't like the rules maybe volunteer and help the rules evolve. My guild show is this weekend. There are several divisions of the quilts. There are categories for one-person quilt which is one person doing all the piecing, quilting and then there are two-person quilts. There are artisan or master entries so if you have been a previous winner or been paid for your work then you are automatically competing in the master division. There is also a category for first time entry. There are awards for merit hand quilting, and merit machine quilting. there is a category for digitized (embroidery) designs. So probably most of these divisions and categories came about because people discussed the issues and made decisions.

One last point... I love to see the quilts hanging. This is something so inspiring and fun. I like seeing one of mine hanging. I love that the guild show promotes our art.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:01 AM

Well said, tartan. Some folks think that quilting something to death is what needs to be done. I like to see the pattern as well, not just the stitching overload. (Just MHO). Just because you can doesn't mean you should.