Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracking inventory??? >

Tracking inventory???

Tracking inventory???

Old 02-08-2022, 02:46 PM

My homeowner's insurance agent asked for an estimate of my sewing supplies, machines and fabrics for replacement value. He also said to take lots of pictures of the things I have and store them on a computer or thumb drive. Insurance companies don't like to pay you for what it's worth. Also, he suggested I have each of my quilts appraised. Insurance companies will pay about $30 to $40 per 'blanket' for replacement costs. He said an inventory would be a good idea for this reason.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I could spend hours on an inventory and have everything listed. I know me though and would I ever look at it? No.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by pennyhal2 View Post
I love my mess! I used to be gulity about having a mess and working in it unti I saw a photo of Einsetin's office...it was a mess with books all over the place, the stuff on his desk was so deep that you couldn't see the desk, papers hanging out of the bookcase, books strewn all over or in high stacks, etc. and.... I got over the fact that I enjoy my mess! When I look at it I get inspired. When I see a gorgeous fabric stuffed in a corner, I feel I'm looking at a piece of art...and who would cut up a Picasso? When I buy fabric, I feel like I am buying art.

I've made a lot of quilts over the years and I save some of my favorite fabrics to use on the back where they can be kept whole.
I called it organized chaos! My fabric is organized in totes, but when I worked, as an executive assistant to 2 VP's, my desk was "command central". Everything was at my fingertips, and I absolutely knew where everything was. Be it a file, an order, a customer issue, anything. I had a "come-out" file, that dealt with important dated material. I had a legal file with current cases, and a customer issue file. Anytime someone needed something, I could produce it within 5 seconds, sometimes not even looking up. I miss that comfortable feeling. I did have my own office, so it was hidden!
Old 02-10-2022, 05:14 AM

I started an Excel sheet with all of the rulers and templates i have. I list size, brand, color. Anything that will help. I was surprised to find so many duplicates.
I am just now doing the same with patterns. Going to list them in the Excel sheet. I am so bad at buying duplicates.

I started doing it with my precuts but honestly, it was too overwhelming!
I have bought precuts for a specific quilt and then forgot so i also am starting to bag in a 2 gallon ziploc and at least put a note in it what it was intended for…

I have granddaughters that like to go through my fabric and i am always saying, no, i bought that to make ??? For ??
Old 02-10-2022, 06:20 AM

I use an app to organize the quilting books I own. It allows me to scan the bar code (except on my really old books without those codes) which makes entering info much easier. Then I can search by relevant words to see what I have. I started after I found myself buying duplicates at used book sales.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:44 AM

I do my best. I have a whole row of built in cupboards for storage and base cabinets with small interior drawers for smaller items. I also have sewing baskets that may only hold bindings or needles or different kinds of pins and clamps. I have large button boxes. I have plastic under the bed containers for programed wall hangings and patterns. I have bins for threads and rows of different things that line the top of the cupboards. I have come to the point where buying things is a rarity unless it is so unique new Item that will work with what I already have. Even though I see myself as out of order others coming into my sewing studio find it very organized.
Anyway I do keep a close inventory of my supplies as I am into various boxes and bins and keeps a written list in each container for ease of a search. Right now I have just completed, though never ending, spread sheet of all my Accuquilt dies and supplies. There is also a separate list for replacement cost. Another thing I have done is to take a video of everything in my sewing studio in the event that all this should ever need to be replaced.

Last edited by juliasb; 02-10-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
My homeowner's insurance agent asked for an estimate of my sewing supplies, machines and fabrics for replacement value. He also said to take lots of pictures of the things I have and store them on a computer or thumb drive. Insurance companies don't like to pay you for what it's worth. Also, he suggested I have each of my quilts appraised. Insurance companies will pay about $30 to $40 per 'blanket' for replacement costs. He said an inventory would be a good idea for this reason.
Our insurance broker suggested we raise our content amount instead of listing everything replaceable that could be. When we had an agent he never would do what was best for us but best for him. He didn't lie but just didn't reveal the options. A broker saved us lots of money on insurance. He didn't care what insurance company we choose.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:24 AM

Love your mess! I remember a saying that I relied upon when teaching and now when crafting and writing: A clean desk is a sign of a dirty mind.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Well, I have said I am an oddball amongst quilters. I don't really have a stash. I have some fabric and two bins of scraps, but, it isn't worthy of an inventory. I'm working on getting it down to almost nothing - it is a challenge because not all of it goes together. I did manage to use up a charm pack and a bunch of related fat quarters and just had to buy sashing and backing. I don't really love a pieced backing although one or two might be in my future. I'm working on a Donna Jordan scrap quilt right now. It didn't make a dent in my scraps.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by pennyhal2 View Post
I love my mess! I used to be gulity about having a mess and working in it unti I saw a photo of Einsetin's office...it was a mess with books all over the place, the stuff on his desk was so deep that you couldn't see the desk, papers hanging out of the bookcase, books strewn all over or in high stacks, etc. and.... I got over the fact that I enjoy my mess! When I look at it I get inspired. When I see a gorgeous fabric stuffed in a corner, I feel I'm looking at a piece of art...and who would cut up a Picasso? When I buy fabric, I feel like I am buying art.

I've made a lot of quilts over the years and I save some of my favorite fabrics to use on the back where they can be kept whole.
Ah, Penny. A woman after my own heart! I don't worry about the mess. It doesn't bother me. I try to keep it controlled. Sometimes I even succeed! But I don't worry about it. Once in a while I tidy up and try to find a more organized way to keep some things, but I don't stress about it.

About insurance, I know an estate appraiser who works with insurance companies to ascertain the value of items damaged or missing after a catastrophe. You do have to show the insurance company that you had items worth the value that they were insured for. She told me to take lots of pictures and keep them in the safe deposit box. I need to redo that thumb drive now. It hasn't been done in several years.