Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracking inventory??? >

Tracking inventory???

Tracking inventory???

Old 02-08-2022, 05:23 AM

Since I came into quilting towards the end of my full time teaching career, I started a quilting log in 2015 and wanted to make sure the money spent on the machine was well spent. It was also a way to account for my projects, but it has become a way to track purchases and completed projects. It has simple columns: date started/purchased, name/pattern, where it started (many are LQS lessons), notes, finished date. Just yesterday I went through my list and highlighted UFOs. Many were purchases I made at quilt shows and several Christmas themed projects. There were a few surprises. I do not have a big stash so I keep fabrics in categories like Christmas, wool applique, flannels, and projects in pizza boxes. KISS is my mantra...keep it simple sweety.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:33 AM

I have a walk in closet and most of the fabric is on display. And what is put aside is in clear plastic totes so I can also see that. Most often I buy for stash, and don't care if I buy the same fabric multiple times because I'll eventually use it. Most often when I get an idea for a quilt, I pull from my stash and only purchase for a specific project when I'm already committed to doing it. I do have a few kits I've purchased, but it's easy to keep them stored in the packaging they came in (though they are prewashed and ready to go now.)

Now - if I can get a better handle on embroidery designs and thread. . . at least I buy most from the same online store, and it yells at me if I put something in my cart I've previously purchased (and that happens a lot!)
Old 02-08-2022, 05:41 AM

I have bought both fabric and patterns that I already have. I probably should keep track of inventory but I won't. I have way too many other things to do than spend time doing an inventory and then keeping track of what I've used.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:08 AM

I don’t inventory my fabric, but I do tend to keep fabric bought for a specific project in its own bag.

I did recently inventory my Accuquilt dies after I accidentally bought one I already had. Lucky for me it was out of stock and my order was cancelled. The one I mistakenly ordered was part of the Qube Corners set, so my inventory includes the specific die’s in my Qubes.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a system. I'm just not wired that way. Occasionally I find duplicates but it's not a big deal.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:55 AM

The closet I have come to tracking is when I tidy my stash, I keep a notebook and write down any works in progress. If fabrics go together for that project, I put them together in large plastic bags or in dishpans. If there is a pattern, that goes in there also. My Guild has a Get-R-Done challenge and the first twenty get listed to finish up this year.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Actually there is something I do.
Every year I give my sewing room a thorough clean, go through everything I have and toss, donate etc. Then I have some kind of idea what I have.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:24 AM

Default Inventory

Originally Posted by laughingquilter View Post
Maybe this is a stupid question but does anyone "track" their inventory? I'm not talking specific yardage, etc. but I've bought fabric, precuts, yardage, etc. for a specific quilt pattern on a number of occasions and then it gets "stored" away before I get it started and before long I'm buying the fabric for another quilt and the same thing happens. Anyway, I buy and store faster than I sew and finish so I'm finding that I've purchased a pattern twice for two different fabric lines, etc. Is anyone else as bad as I am about doing this? Has anyone come up with any way to track their inventory on hand to prevent you from purchasing something more than once? My husband actually suggested it. He doesn't have a problem with my buying the stuff but he said I should find a way to track it, with pictures, to remind myself what I have rather than possibly buying a pattern twice, etc. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for ANY help you can share in that matter.

I do keep track of everything in my sewing room and it's location. I use excel on my computer. I have a file for fabric, thread by type, patterns, rulers, accuquilt dies, etc. I put most of my fabric in plastics tubs and I # the tubs. Stabilizers is put in drawers, again what # of drawer. Notions are listed by location, like sewing machine top drawer, cutting table north drawer, etc. If I am looking for fabric to match and haven't found it, it goes in a stacking drawer. I also scan my fabric when I get it to my computer and that goes in Windows. I list the mfg., yardage, design name, date purchases and what pattern I plan on using and location. Now when I get a new piece of fabric that I don't have time to make, I can find it again. Last week, I purchases 93 spools of embroidery, I listed the # and color of each. I have that in excel and each maker has it's own page. The main page, has a cross reference to all makers colors, so if I am looking for RA, I may have the same color under a different maker # like DMC. It has saved me lots of dollars by having these files. Plus, my sewing room is large and when we moved here I was losing things, so I had to do something. PS. This took me 2 weeks to do at first, but now it's only a min or two when I get something new. Plus I take pictures of it for insurance purposes as they would never believe me if something happen to my house. that goes on a flash drive and stored in a safety deposit box. I update that once a year. .
Old 02-08-2022, 09:17 AM

Since I make mostly art quilts, I have a different problem: Even after I've finished a quilt, I continue to buy fabric for it. I'm working on stopping that!

I keep everything for a specific quilt in a plastic tote on shelves, sometimes for years. Somehow I don't buy duplicates. My husband used to say "An artist needs her palette." It's a good rationalization!
Old 02-08-2022, 10:17 AM

I love my mess! I used to be gulity about having a mess and working in it unti I saw a photo of Einsetin's office...it was a mess with books all over the place, the stuff on his desk was so deep that you couldn't see the desk, papers hanging out of the bookcase, books strewn all over or in high stacks, etc. and.... I got over the fact that I enjoy my mess! When I look at it I get inspired. When I see a gorgeous fabric stuffed in a corner, I feel I'm looking at a piece of art...and who would cut up a Picasso? When I buy fabric, I feel like I am buying art.

I've made a lot of quilts over the years and I save some of my favorite fabrics to use on the back where they can be kept whole.