Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight stitch, light weight machine >

Straight stitch, light weight machine

Straight stitch, light weight machine

Old 02-11-2023, 05:55 PM

I bet that Singer 185J is a straight stitch-only machine. My BL Joy has lots of different stitches so it isn't a straight-only machine.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
When I say straight stitch, I mean it does not zig zag. The motion of the hook is different on a straight stitch only machine, giving a straight line, not a slanted stitch.

so beside featherweight, what machines do straight stitch only. No zig zag.
The Singer 301 is straight stitch only.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:54 AM

I bought a Brother from Amazon, it's light weight, has some nice decorative stitches. It was around $250. It works great, doesn't bounce and I've made tote bags with it, no problems going over thick seams. My friend bought a small Janome from a local sewing store.She paid just under $1,000. We take them to our sewing club where we all sew on those 6' long tables. Her Janome bounces horribly and she wishes she had purchased a cheap Brother.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I am just wondering if there Is even a modern lightweight straight stitch machine in the market. I know there are plenty of straight stitch vintage but not all are light weight and one just doesn't go shopping and get one. The straight stitch Brother is the PQ1500 and weighs I think around 25 lbs. I take it to sit and sew because I like it but it is not light weight
Old 02-12-2023, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

I bet that Singer 185J is a straight stitch-only machine.

Yes it is, like the Featherweight but is a Heavyweight. The cover that attaches to the base is all metal too. It's bad heavy. THere is no click clack sound when sewing, just purrs like a tiger.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I am just wondering if there Is even a modern lightweight straight stitch machine in the market. I know there are plenty of straight stitch vintage but not all are light weight and one just doesn't go shopping and get one. The straight stitch Brother is the PQ1500 and weighs I think around 25 lbs. I take it to sit and sew because I like it but it is not light weight
I think you’re right. There isn’t a modern lightweight straight stitch in the market.
But I’m hoping.

Hey Manufacturers! Need a new idea to market? Here’s a new-old idea.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
When I say straight stitch, I mean it does not zig zag. The motion of the hook is different on a straight stitch only machine, giving a straight line, not a slanted stitch.

so beside featherweight, what machines do straight stitch only. No zig zag.
301 is my second choice. Straight stitch only. Beautiful stitch. Fairly light and easy to move.