Discouraged about Quilting

Old 12-03-2023, 08:04 AM

As my mom always says "People want garage sale prices for homemade items," whenever the topic comes up about possibly making things to sell. She says that people don't want to pay for the labor that goes into making a quilt. Yet you've got parents paying through the roof for brand-name clothes for their kids, just because it has a label on it. She had two friends who made tons of table runners and quilted items, and for three days they only sold one table runner.

With that said, quilting is something I do for myself (perhaps that sounds selfish), but quilting is an activity that refuses to allow my brain into a much darker place. Yes, I do make items for family members, and they do appreciate them because they know how much work goes into making them. But at the end of the day, I quilt and sew for the pleasure of it and I haven't really focused on making things to sell--- with the exception of during the pandemic, I made tons of masks and sold them on Etsy, but those were an item that was in hot demand. After the mask rush, I found people are okay looking and liking my jewelry I made on Etsy and other little sewing things, but nobody wanted to pay the appropriate price for the items. And unless you want to spend dollars on frequent ads which will just take away profits, you're kind of stuck with that--- so I've moved away from trying to sell things. Occasionally, I have the small interest in maybe selling something, but it usually fades--- I just want to create for myself and the people I love, and if I want, donate to places that need things.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:54 AM

I totally agree with you LogCabin. I make things for me and because I enjoy making them. I've had people ask about making something for them. I usually decline before we even get to the price. They won't want to pay me for my labor, much less the labor and materials, so I'm not interested.