Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking pencils >

Marking pencils

Marking pencils

Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Check out Jill Schumacher's website for white pencils she sells. I tried them and love them for dark fabric. She can only get them in a huge order so sells them as well. Very reasonable price too!

http://www.quiltmakertothequeen.com/
Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Is there a reason you can't use a regular pencil? I'm guessing you are talking about for your patterned quilting designs here, and I am far, far from that stage of endeavor. So, I'm just asking out of curiosity.
Actually this would be for marking the finished pieced quilt top for quilting, directly on the fabric. Need something that rubs off or washes out.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 PM

I use purple (vanish over time) blue (washout) and after trying all kinds for dark fabric, love the little chalk roller that my cousin presented me with.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I use the blue one
Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 PM

I use Sewline.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I use Sewline pencils. They are propelling pencils with 'leads' that are designed specifically for fabric. The leads come in several colours, I have the regular grey, and the white and yellow for dark fabrics. The company also makes a propelling fabric eraser and I recommend that too - if you haven't pressed hard, it works a treat!
http://www.sewline-product.com/

I lost the first pencil I bought, and couldn't do without it, so bought another. Of course, the first one turned up, so now I have two. I keep the regular lead in one, and either the yellow or white in the second one, so now I don't have to bother to change leads any more. I think now, the same company does a multiple pencil, so it might be worth checking that out.
I use the Sewline "pink" pencil because it shows on light and dark fabric. Those pesky prints are tough to mark when multi colored.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Banned

I personally like and recommend:
Multi-pastel chalk pencils from General Pencil Co. However, only in white and light grey
General's Sketch and Wash. Is a black washable graphite. I've marked off white antique satin and lines were almost gone when I finished quilting
The cermic lead pencils - Available in these brands:
SewLine, Fons and Porter, Bohin and Collins. I suspect they all come out of the same factory. I use the white lead. It is strong and brushes off. I have had success with the plastic like brush that removes lint or pet hair.
It appears to act as a brush and an eraser. Have used this most successfully on black batik.
I do not recommend colors in any of the pencils - chalk or otherwise because they will have a color pigment in it.
I havn't tried the Sewline colors.
I also use the fine tip water erasable pen if am marking on vry light or white fabric. And I wash out. I do NOT spritz because I believe some of the color drifts down into the batting and may gravitate out in the future. I always recommend washing after marking.
And never the air disappearing fine tip pen. My theory is that while the color will disappear there is still a chemical in the fabric and might effect the fabric in the future.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:36 PM

I use a gray quilting pencil (getting harder to see it) but I really like to use soap slivers on anything dark enough to see it. I quilt in the ditch a lot,
Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 AM

I am presently handquilting a quilt and am marking lightly with a real sharp lead on the white background. The marks are nearly gone when I finish and I use a soft eraser to lightly brush between the stitches. The eraser is one of those that you can purchase at the Dollar Store and you get a lot of them of all colors in a package and slip them over the original eraser on the pencil.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

I use the wash out one. God bless. Penny