Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-04-2024, 08:56 AM

I have finished sewing the sneaky Clue 7 blocks together. Not done pressing them, but almost.

At one point I was ready for a break while singing along to Tom Petty's greatest hits when on the last song of the album and one inch short of being done with my current goal I ran out of bobbin thread. Not only from the bobbin I had in, but it was my last filled bobbin. Of course it was! LOL I filled up like 6 bobbins and while I was doing stuff gave a good cleaning to the bobbin area. One of the reds was a huge lint producer, I could have made a nighty for a mouse with all the fluff in there. I'm thinking I should change my needle too -- think I'll do that before I start the next clue.

Next scheduled clue is tomorrow already. Goodness gracious -- Hang in there, babies!
Old 01-04-2024, 10:26 AM

Iceblossom, for those of us a long way from block construction, can you explain what is sneaky about the blocks?
Old 01-04-2024, 11:35 AM

I got clue 7 sewed up and will be ready for tomorrow. had to be extra diligent with all the matching sets, as I love to chain piece and that makes it easy to get the wrong pieces sewn together. Only had to rip out a few so that wasn't too bad.

Iceblossom, I know your pain about running out of bobbin thread so close to the end! I also like to wind a lot of bobbins at a time, I have a separate bobbin winder so at least I can keep sewing while I'm winding up a bunch.

That brings up a different subject, matching thread. I usually piece with either a light neutral, or a very dark or black thread. I've often seen sets of colors being sold to match fabric in a kit, and I've always wondered if there are people out there that will change thread/bobbin colors depending on the colors they are sewing together. Seems like way too much of a pain to me, but I really don't like changing thread colors!. Not that it's a big deal, I tie off and pull it through except the needle so it's fast to do, but it seems like a disruption in my sewing rhythm.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:43 AM

Sneaky -- just that the Clue 7 for building the blocks clue was not on Friday but was released on New Year's (Monday). Here I thought I was done for the week and came on line before the clue was released, had already checked my email but Macybaby mentioned that there was a new clue.

Nothing to worry about. For those going at a more leisurely pace, you want clues 1 and 4 done, plus the hourglasses from 7 in order to make the blocks..

Old 01-04-2024, 01:33 PM

LOL, Iceblossom! I'm glad it's not something difficult about the block.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:55 AM

Up a little early but not in the middle of the night, but still before the clue is released.

Thought I'd talk a little about the bobbin thread that MacyBaby mentioned. I mostly work in a scrappy style. My scrappy style is a bit different than Bonnie's -- for one, making mostly queen sized quilts I rarely go below a 2" square in my design. I have enjoyed this project (so far at least) that there haven't been any 1" squares or sashing or 3" finished 9-patches. For the new to the Bonnie mystery people these have been pretty big pieces! I don't quite get it, I try to tell myself that the seam allowance is always the same 1/4" and it shouldn't matter if I have 3/4" or 3" on the other side of the seam, but I start to feel all awkward and fumble fingered when sewing small units.

But to thread color, I prefer to use a combination of beige/light tan and a light gray or steely (gray toned) blue. These two colors tend to disappear in most fabrics/prints. Don't really care what's on top and what's on bottom. Having two colors helps me when I am having a problem with tension or whatever. So far, for most of this project I've had a light silver gray as the bobbin and white on the top. We've been discussing stitch length a bit on the main page of the forums. I use a thin needle and a tiny stitch length -- even when I press open (as I usually do) I am usually not seeing any thread color in my seams. I might get a little when putting two white pieces together but it is not a clear definite line even when using red thread! When I do restoration work or pick up a hand quilted piece from the thrift store, I will usually use a medium blue to show where I fixed/altered things from the usually white thread.

I have a lot of thread and sometimes when I have a constant color I will use up a darker spool or brighter color with red or dark blue or whatever. I do basically zero garment construction any more and when I need/want a specific color for something go ahead and buy that specific color.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:14 AM

And here is the reveal!

https://quiltville.com/pdf/IndigoWay_8_Full.pdf

NOTE: She makes a correction on counts for the part 3 units. We will have to make a couple extra of those, nothing too bad or many.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:36 AM

I really like it! I'm surprised, because I expected the navy to predominate and it's the red! I feel as though I completely lucked out, with contrast between the neutral and light blues not all that important.

Lots of work to do! Happy quilting, everyone!
Old 01-05-2024, 06:44 AM

It’s beautiful! Can’t wait to assemble it. Bonnie is so creative!
Old 01-05-2024, 06:53 AM

Wow, just wow. Love this one. Happy Sewing Y'all!