Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
reading the quilt pattern >

reading the quilt pattern

reading the quilt pattern

Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 AM

I have found that post-it notes are very helpful. If the pattern refers to 'blue polka dot fabric' I write that on a post-it and put the post-it on the fabric I'm using for the 'blue polka dot'. Clear as mud??
Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie54
Does anyone have trouble with reading a quilt pattern? Sometimes I think Iam stupid. I find a pattern, looks great, buy it, and for what ever reason , I dont understand it. Is there an easy way of understanding these things. I know they are not all hard but my brain dont want to understand it. Can anyone help me in understand this? Please........... :roll: :roll:
Any help is welcomed.
I have the same problem. If I can see someone make the first block or talk me through it, then I'm on my way. I do all sorts of diagrams, lay out the pieces and do trial blocks. I have a new one I want to do right now but will need start up help.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 AM

I have been sewing for over 40 years and still can't read a pattern,I just look at the pictures and how much to cut and what size ,so I can't help you but good luck.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 AM

You are not stupid but sound like a "visual person". I am too and can do it easily if I see it done. Reading a "how-to" can throw me off. Hope you can work through it.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by jayelee
I take a small square of fabric and glue stick it on to the pattern in place of the fabric that they use so when I look at it while reading I see my choice and not theirs
Me too!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:00 AM

I watch Eleanor Burns' shows a lot and on one show she made the suggestion of making a legend. I label a piece of typing paper with all the letters that identify each fabric cut. I cut out a piece of fabric swatch by each letter along with the listed measurement. I also label the actual picture of the quilt with the letters and arrows pointing to the place on the quilt. I hang the paper by my cutting table and it helps me keep my mind in order.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 AM

I read and then re-read. Somethines you can figure out a better way to do it. I don't jump in right away. I've even bought some patterns that are just poorly written.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 AM

I always make a trial block with a new pattern to make sure I understand the instructions if they are difficult. If the block I make is correct, I may rewrite the instructions to make them more understandable. With very difficult to understand blocks, I will save my trial block with the instructions to refresh my memory when I decide to use it again.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 AM

[quote=Jackie54]Thanks everyone, my pattern is Joesph's Pinwheel by fons& porter. I know its not a hard pattern, but I make it hard.It is in this months issuse book from Fons& Porter. I think alot of it is, because I dont use their choice of material, so when it tells me to say like go with blue poka dot material cut 4 7/8 wide strip, from strip cut 2 4 7/8 squares. Cut squares in half diagonally to make 4 half square. Now am I makeing a mountain out of a nothing.If you have the issue of the book it is on page 62.

I don't have the book, but I know what they want you to do. You're making half square triangles. They like to use the 7/8" to save fabric. Up it to 1 inch. So your fabric is cut in a 5 inch wide strip. Then you cut that 5" strip into two 5" squares. Do NOT cut it in half yet!! Match it with another 5" square of an alternate fabric, right sides together. Draw a diagonal line from left upper corner to right lower corner. You will be stitching 1/4" on both sides of this line. When you have sewn the seam on each side of the line, then you can cut on the diagonal line you drew. Press seam open or to darkest side. Your HST will be a bit oversized. Trim it down to 4 1/2 inches. Do the same for the other 5" square.
Hope this helps.
bev.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:25 AM

You are not stupid. Some authors just can't write. There have been some patterns that it has taken me 4 or 5 readings to finally figure out what they are saying. If I can't figure it out I wing it.