Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble reading a pattern >

Trouble reading a pattern

Trouble reading a pattern

Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Does anyone have trouble reading and following a pattern? It seems to start out easy, and then before I know it, it gets confusing. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a tut that guides you through one for practice? I get frustrated and don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
Does anyone have trouble reading and following a pattern? It seems to start out easy, and then before I know it, it gets confusing. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a tut that guides you through one for practice? I get frustrated and don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 PM

I don't know if there is or not, but I do know that I have alot of trouble reading directions but my problem is I don't comprehend what I read. I have no problem if I am "shown" how to do it then I am able to with no problems.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 PM

I think some patterns are a bit confusing, if it's a difficult pattern I try to read through till it makes sense and if you go step by step and still get mixed up maybe you can email the maker for clarification, sometimes there's are misprints. Good luck
Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 AM
MTS
Banned

The best advice I could give is to read the entire pattern BEFORE you start doing/cutting/sewing anything. All the way through. Look at the templates or any special papers included.

It should be like planning a road trip....you would have Googled all the maps and plotted your route BEFORE you got in the car, right?

Same thing. You really have to have an idea of where you're going as you approach each step. And also about where you're supposed to be 3 steps down the pike.

That way you'd have an inkling if something is off, or all of sudden there is some technique or math that you should have figured out four steps back. Or found out you needed to cut the fabric a certain way, but didn't read ahead and now you don't have enough because you miscut.

You get the idea.

And it's not a race. Breathe deeply. If it's really not fun, put it away and find a new project.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I don't know if there is or not, but I do know that I have alot of trouble reading directions but my problem is I don't comprehend what I read. I have no problem if I am "shown" how to do it then I am able to with no problems.
This is me, show me and I can do it, but try to comprehend directions isn't easy for me at all! So I usually try to find pictures to figure it out or even a youtube video...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

I made my first bow tuck this year and I read and reread the directions first. If I didn't understand something I would walk away from it and think it over. I didn't rush through it either.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:25 AM

Yes, I have much difficulty. I don't understand it, I used to read them just fine. My friend, who is a seemstrees helps me when I get stuck. After 50 plus yrs of sewing, she can firgue out anything. I have a purse I started a year ago and I am frustrated with the directions, so she is helping me with this. I understand the directions aren't wrote well these days, unless it comes from a company like butterick or so. The independent's don't write directions as well is my understanding.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:45 AM

Sometimes the problem IS in the directions! I bought a book and faithfully tried to follow the directions - the illustrations and finished project were NOT the same as the words indicated. Some friends and I are making a quilt from McCalls magazine and there is an entire border than is not addressed in the cutting directions or the assembly directions.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Some patterns are well written and well illustrated.
They are comparatively easy to follow.

Some patterns are poorly written, the illustrations don't match the words, plus there are mistakes - such as wrong yardage requirements, wrong dimensions of pieces, the templates are badly drawn, etc etc.

Then it is the pattern that is the problem, not the reader.

It does help to read through the whole pattern before starting the project -

But I'm not sure how a beginner would "know" something is "off" - - -

There still is no substitute for experience.

I know this isn't much help - but maybe knowing you are not alone may be of some comfort????