Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Trouble and more trouble... >

Trouble and more trouble...

Trouble and more trouble...

Old 03-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Default Trouble and more trouble...

Ever since the conversion to the new QB I've had difficulty logging in. I get an error message that says "failure to connect to web server". This can last for minutes, hours and sometimes days. Now, I have to log in every time I go to the site, even though I tell it to keep me logged in. Am I the only one who is having these issues? I'm ready to find another message board an forget about this one, even though I like it better than any other one i have tried. It's not my laptop as it happens no matter what computer I use, here at home or at any family member's where I might be staying. Admin says to try to log in using other than a favorites login or they had a couple of other suggestions that don't work either. I never know when it is going to happen. I was just now able to log in after over 48 hours of not being able to log in. Anybody have any other message boards they like?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM

The software this message board uses doesn't work well with Internet Explorer. I downloaded Google Chrome to use with facebook games and found it works much better for this board too. I don't get nearly as many errors with Chrome as I did with IE.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM

I use "Chrome" too, for everything. Like it much better-even Firefox is better than the old Explorer.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Since I've always logged in each time I visit the site, no changes for me. I used to have dial-up and it's what I'm used to. The site doesn't really like Internet explorer but since we've upgraded to high speed I am having fewer problems.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM

I agree in that although I mark for it to remember log-in it doesn't. I had no such problem before the change over.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM

I only use Google chrome for everything including this site. The errors happen if I use IE of Chrome.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I have only used Internet Explorer and haven't had any unrealistic problems.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:22 AM
Administrator

PROBLEMS LOGGIN IN OR STAYING LOGGED IN:

Assuming the member is using the correct username and password combination, these two problems are related to the browsing software being used, the way the users are browsing the site, and their individual browser settings

Based on a very good tip/reminder posted today by another member I recommend that you do the following before you attempt to login again:

· Clear your web browser cache/delete temporary internet files
· Clear your cookies
· if you're coming onto the board with an old "shortcut" or "favorite bookmark", delete it, type www.quiltingboard.com into the address bar, or click on the link right here to go there, and make it a new internet shortcut or internet favorite bookmark.

Supported browsers include:

· Internet Explorer v7 and up
· Firefox v6 and up (current version – 2)
· Chrome (current version)
· Safari v5 and up (current major version)

I highly recommend you upgrade to the latest version of your browsing software if you have not already done so.

When you get to the Quilting Board Home Page to sign in, please remember to wait until the page completes loading to log in. The fields have "hint" text in them as opposed to labels outside them to indicate what should be put in there. When the page has mostly loaded, there is code on the page that will dynamically remove that hint text from the field as soon as the user tries to enter their own text in there.

However, if you try to click into the field immediately after it shows up, but while the page has not finished loading, it's possible you may submit the hint text along with your actual username or password, resulting in a failed log-in.

Remember: both username and password are case-sensitive.
Example: suppose my username is JoeSmith and my password is Abc123
If I try to sign in as joesmith, it won’t work
If I try to use the password abc123, it won’t work

1) After entering the username and password, but before clicking the “Login” button, users can check the "Remember me" check box right next to the login button while logging in.

2) Users may be using private browsing, in which case there are no cookies saved on to your computer. So, even if the user checked the "Remember me" box while using private browsing, the cookie will not be saved and therefore the site will require users to login.

3) If the users manually clear the cookies of their browser or automatically delete the cookies once they close the browser, in either case, users will be required to login again.

4) Lastly, if the user is inactive for 60 minutes then user will automatically be logged out (This does not seem to be the case, but something to remember).

That will only happen to users who have *not* checked the "Remember Me" box.

If they have checked the box, they will not be logged out due to an hour of inactivity. I think the next time they will be required to log in is 2-4 weeks later.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 PM

I use the browser Sea Monkey which is a Mozilla product. I have very little trouble with it and I can even check my email(I have Road Runner) with out going to the Road Runner site.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:08 PM

I've always used IE, and almost never have a problem logging in.