Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
room to spread out >

room to spread out

room to spread out

Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 AM

Great idea. I used my community room at the library to lay out and baste my quiilt same thing.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:33 AM

Congratulations on your terrific idea. There are less than a handful of quilters in this rural town, but I never gave it a thought that (since I have a key) I could go down to our church hall and do that ANY time. Thanks for the 'light bulb' moment.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 AM

I have been doing this at my church once a moth for about two years. It started out as an opportunity for "scrapbookers" to work on their projects but then spread to all crafts. I often take quilts to sandwich, machine quilt or to just spend some concentrated focused time on a single work in progress. Good fellowship, meet gals I would not normally get to chat with and a place with lots of space and plenty of tables. I have made some new friends and shared my love of quilting with others.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by ScoutingSquirrel
I've been trying to get the idea of a 'Crafts and Coffee (and cakes!)' going in a few different places here in Sweden ... just the idea of a number of like minds gathering in a place with enough chairs and tables for all, bringing along existing crafting projects of all kinds and making some progress on your own whilst rubber-necking at what others are doing .... lovely!

You inspire me to try again ... I will use my inadequate Swedish the next time I see someone from the village committee!

In the meantime I will think fondly of coming to one of yours, but it'll have to be a virtual presence I'm afraid!

Helen
Hi Helen,
I am an American who has been living in Norway for many years and strangers "getting together" a relatively new concept. If Sweden is anything like Norway there are probably existing groups "of friends" who already get together and have been doing so for years. A local quilt shop opened near me and it has become popular to go to "classes" - which are really only paying (750 kr for 4 weeks) to sit at a table and sew whatever you want with a lady there who can show you what to do if you don't know something, and of course, you can buy your fabric there too. I went for awhile to get to meet some people, then realized paying so much to just meet people was getting expensive. There does not seem to be any other place to do this without requiring quite a cash lay-out for the opportunity. The idea of opening up a church hall to gather for coffee, cookies, conversation and hobby stuff would be weird I think. This IS Scandinavia and people don't seem to be as eager to try new things - with strangers, no less. :|
Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 AM

Way to go! Our quilting group meets once a month in the Fellowship Hall at the Church I attend and have for the last 3 years. We have lunch and the use of a full kitchen. Prior to this we met at the Sr. Citizens Center for many years, before the building had to close and move elsewhere. A few of us ladies from the Church that quilt often go to the Hall and use our long tables to cut and work on large quilts.
This may be something many of you may want to check into with your local Churches.When I first approached our Church Board, I wasn't sure how everyone would respond, but there was an immediate yes from the entire Board. The quilting group had offered to pay to use the facility, but the Board gave a big NAY to that right away with many on the Board commenting that this would be another day that God's house is not vacant and is used for loving purposes.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 AM

Sounds great!! Wish I was closer. There's nothing more fun that sewing/whatever with other people.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:16 AM

What a great idea!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 AM

What a great idea. Wish I lived closer.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:25 AM

<SIGH> Wish I lived closer! I think this is a great idea and what a nice way to share fellowship.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 AM
Banned

awesome...I did this in Alaska...wish I could find a place here in Rural, OK that would let us do that....might ask Hobby Lobby about their room!