Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • first time >
  • first time

• first time

Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 PM

We have a group of ladies, of all ages, who meet at our library meeting room on the first Friday of every month at 4:00 in the morning. We couldn't find a time during the day with working women, school activities, etc so chose a time that was agreeable to all. Hardly ever does anyone miss. We sew, chat, share, then go to a local restaurant for breakfast, then off to daily routine. Some days, if we have free hours later on, we go back and sew for the remainder of the day, and sometimes into Saturday and Sunday. Try to find a group that shares your interests, and you can make anything happen. Good luck.
    Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by BRenea
    Glad you found a group that welcomed you. It doesn't happen in every guild. For many of us, the Quilt Board is the beat guild we've belonged to...everyone is so great here!
    You are so right. We are a guild! The meeting starts whenever we want it to!
    Old 01-13-2012, 05:51 PM

glad to hear you had a nice visit. I use to belong to our local guild.
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:06 PM

I am no expert on quilting guilds but have belonged to two. One when I was a young mom and attended with my mom it was our evening out. It was great until we got so big then the bickering began and I wasn't going to spend my evening out in that situation. So actually about 8 of us went to start another group - we kept our dues in a coffee can and when we had a class and we didn't have enough money we annied up. I treasure those ladies like silver and gold. They took me in like I was their daughter and taught me so much. We had potlucks and subdays and somedays just lunch. Due to their age and half of them have passed on we only meet occasionally for lunch. But I treasure each of them. Now I have a couple friends from there that we create together our own projects and call on the phone. We each work in our own home and meet to pin quilts at our church. I like working at home only because I don't have to haul around my sewing machine and I have everything right at hand; and further more the price of gasoline is terrible and I live in the country so the drive is farther for me. I love this board it offers more than I can do and I hope I am an encouragement and support to others like they are to me. Happy Quilting............
    Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 PM

I agree with the others who say we don't quilt at our guild meeting but we do have sew inn days. This is what the guilds I belong to do. I'd give them a chance if they were as friendly ad you mentioned. After all " Age is just a state of mind". Also there is nothing like the wealth of 'collective wisdom'.