Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Why would I need a crock pot? >

Why would I need a crock pot?

Why would I need a crock pot?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:46 PM

i have 2 teenagers boys who have man size appetites. the crock-pot works even on days when i don't feel like cooking or when i do cook.. chili and soups makes their mouths water as soon as they came home from school ... they love them the small crockpots are great for hot apple cider in the cold months when you come in from the cold and some dessert like apple dump cake yummy on every level...
Old 12-10-2013, 12:55 PM

There are just the 2 of us and I use mine at least once a week. I have 3 sizes. The largest is used for family dinners, pork butts for freezing BBQ dinners & sandwiches or Meals on Wheels. The middle one I use for soups and chili to be put into plastic bags and frozen flat on their sides for easy storage and the small one for leftover cuts of meat for sauces, etc.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

I have had one for years. I haven't used it much. We are gone about 12 hours a day and I think it may be too long. Since I have a little dog, bird and three cats I don't leave anything on but A.C and furnace. I forget to thaw meat and don't have much time to prepare before leaving. We eat leftovers for lunch and some dinners. I usually cook a big meal on the weekends and am always home. Daughter uses hers alot.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:12 PM

I say you'd only "need" a crock pot if you didn't want to cook and be standing over the stove or oven waiting for it to be done.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM

I just purchased a new crockpot, but when purchasing it did not realize that it had no removable liner. Has anyone used the plastic liners for the crockpots without liners? I am now wondering if they make the removable ones anymore. I don't particularly like the idea of cooking food in a plastic bag. How do you all feel about this?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 PM

My adult kids all live near me. Once a week, I do a crock pot dinner - usually soup. It's often the same day of the week - whatever works best for most of them. I call it Souper Wednesday (or Thursday or whatever!) It's a good time to get everyone together - it's a fast easy meal. I have found - if you offer food - the kids will come home!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by raspberryparade09 View Post
My adult kids all live near me. Once a week, I do a crock pot dinner - usually soup. It's often the same day of the week - whatever works best for most of them. I call it Souper Wednesday (or Thursday or whatever!) It's a good time to get everyone together - it's a fast easy meal. I have found - if you offer food - the kids will come home!
LOL! same here with my kids
Old 12-11-2013, 05:19 AM

If nothing else, you could always get one of those tiny crock pots and throw in a stick of cinnamon in it and have a good air freshener.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 AM

I love mine. Use it a lot in the summer - keeps the kitchen a whole lot cooler. Just pour all the ingredients in (cakes, stews, chili, tough meat, whatever.), carry out to back porch (or spare room), plug in. Voila! Cooler kitchen.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 AM

I made apple butter and canned it- great! I love to make soups in it- easy as can be. There are an incredible amount of recipes for crockpots, and I've heard there are some that have a meat browning setting also. My favorite feature is the autoshift to a warming level. I put my crockpot on the glass stovetop or a corningware mat to avoid a countertop fire. I don't think I'd trust a regular hot pad or potato bag.