Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Why would I need a crock pot? >
  • Why would I need a crock pot?

• Why would I need a crock pot?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Thank you JanieH! I do have ziploc bags too but keep forgetting I have them The containers really take up a lot of room and I only have three drawers in my freezer. I should try to remember putting leftovers in those bags!
    Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Neesie, thank you for explaining the difference. The one I've seen and considering buying is a slowcooker
    Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 AM

One thing I really love about my slow cooker is if I cook a roast, I usually don't need to add any water. The slow cooker retains all of the juices from the meat. Yummy!
    Old 12-11-2013, 12:10 PM

I like my crockpot in the summer because the oven really heats up the house.
    Then we run the a/c....to bring the house's temp back down.

Also, my brain does better with it because there are times my brain forgets about the oven being on. It's not so bad forgetting a crock pot for an hour

Last edited by RugosaB; 12-11-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Old 12-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Well, if you have to go world wide to be talked into an appliance, I'm guessing you really don't want one. I like mine, but I'm a sucker for a new kitchen appliance ( toaster oven, mixer, blender, whatever) so don't go by me. No, you don't need one. Go buy more fabric!!
    Old 12-11-2013, 04:54 PM

I like to cook inexpensive roasts in my crock pot -- long and slow -- and they turn out tender and tasty. Also, I often cook a whole chicken in the crock pot (no splatter to clean up in the oven), and then I use the juice for stock or soup. I only cook for myself, but a whole chicken or roast doesn't go to waste as I use leftovers for salad, tacos, etc. The easiest thing I have ever cooked in the crock pot is a sweet potato. Just scrub a whole sweet potato and set it in the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. I cooked a meat loaf in the crock pot a few days ago -- just set the METAL pan right in the crock pot. I probably use my crock pot once a week, and have less pots and pans to clean.
    Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 PM

Thanks Shoofly
    In the past I've bought several appliances which ended up somewhere on a shelve. Now I'm more careful with what I buy.
    I've learned a few things from your answers. I should use ziploc bags instead of containers to safe room in the freezer . I can cook my favorite recipes in the crockpot without having to check on tem every 5 minutes. I have a glass top stove so that won't be a problem. I love cooking but not in summer when it's hot. So the crockpot would solve that problem

Thank you all, you've really helped by telling what you do or don't do with your crockpot.
    Old 12-12-2013, 04:37 PM

I have only five or six crock pots and a slow cooker. I love making bread pudding or rice pudding in them. Yes, I buy the liners to go into the crock pot, 'cause clean up is a breeze that way. Last Thanksgiving, a year ago, I had more dishes than my double oven could handle, so I plugged in three of my crock pots and lined them. Perfect for the green bean casserole, the sweet potato casserole, and creamed corn. The slow cooker is used for baked beans...or take with us on picnics, off to family or friend's home. I do have a dipping crock pan, a one quart crock pot for the two of us, a four quart crock pot, and four eight quart crock pot. I seldom run them overnight, most of the time it is when we are home or having company that I use them.

I have a friend that lives by herself, makes a good soup in the crock pot and lives on it all week. Yes, good plastic bags take up less room than the crock pot or corning ware in the refrigerator. They also serve to 'gift' the guests with the leftovers...and not worry about returning any dish or pan.

I taught my bf how to do bread pudding in one, and now I says to her, you can make bread pudding at home; oh, no, said the bf, I have a friend that makes wonderful bread pudding, so I don't have too! I will just come here, she says. LOL!!
    Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 AM

Would you mind sharing any tips you have for making bread pudding in the crock pot?

I read last year about cooking unpeeled, uncut sweet potatoes. Since I'm the only one in this house that even eats sweet potatoes, I just stick a few in the crock pot and then scoop out the pulp when they're done, and freeze in individual portions
    Old 12-14-2013, 05:22 AM
    Power Poster

Sorry I have been so long getting to this thread, being that I was mentioned in the maiden post!

I've used crockpots for 40yrs ... first to feed farmers, then now, mostly just for myself. I still have four ... different sizes, for different reasons and purposes! For the better part, I do not leave my crock on when I am not at home. That is not because of fire safety, just that I find that most things do not need a long time cooking. After 10-12 hours most are either mush or cooked down to being too dried out.

Many have mentioned the merits of tenderizing meat. Also, the advantage of not needing to watch/stir/check so often. Also, the spatter on the stovetop is eliminated. Less mess, less fuss .... more sewing time!

Another advantage from the "health" side ... it's too easy to not cook for oneself, or outright not eat .... or when supper time comes, to grab something less healthy. Thinking ahead and having it brewing has it ready and waiting, so I am sure to get a good meal. As many have mentioned, leftovers are then ready for other days. I try to re-make it into something different, instead of eating the same-old-same-old for days on end, as some have suggested ......... though for those saying that, why not just make less in the first place? Yes, freezers are good for leftovers too!

I've never used the liners ... actually have never seen them in the stores. Sound great, though in most cases, the glazed crock cleans easy enough, that it is not a difficult cleaning job.

To answer your question about the differentiation of slowcooker vs. crockpot.
    Crockpot was the name given by Rival whom I believe was the original. Slowcooker is the same thing, just different brands. Guess you could think of it like "kleenex" ... branded by one company, and "technically" all the rest are "tissues", though we do tend to say kleenex for any and all!

Many of the newer crocks have extra bells and whistles. None of mine are too glorious ... basic on/off, and two heat settings. If I were buying a new one, I would make sure the crock liner is removable. Though I think that is pretty normal for today. Lately, I have discovered the best place to purchase is the thrift store. Just as many here have mentioned they have a crock and and never used it. Sometimes those arrive at the thrift are virtually brand new!

OK ... so what do I make with my crock? ... most anything!!
    The best stews, soups and meatloaf ... I never use the oven for these anymore.
    Rice pudding is great, though easy to overcook.
    Mac and cheese, delicious. Likewise lasagna.
    From one of the threads here, I learned how easy it is to make spare ribs. Something that I seldom made and now ... oh so easy! Why didn't I think of that before?

I do not cook all meats in the crock, as some I just feel need stovetop or oven cooking.
    I do not do veggies solo, though will often add them in with the meats/chicken so I don't have to do that step later.

Most of your foods can be cooked in the crock, though not necessarily the same proportions as you would for oven/stove. Because you do not open the crock, the moisture tends to stay there, so usually you need less liquid.

Now don't think that I only cook via the crockpot/slow cooker .... I seem to go in spits and spurts as to how often and how much I use them! The joy being is that I can stuff it and leave it and go on about doing other things .... sewing, cleaning, yardwork, Christmas decorating, card writing, visiting with friends, or whatever!!!!!!

Wonder now, what did I not answer?

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-14-2013 at 05:27 AM.