I got it! My Green 15-125

Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Great lesson in perseverance! Good for you. She will be a wonderful addition to you collection.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:36 PM

I like your green machines, ladies!

Mrs. SewNSew, I will be anxiously watching to see what the experts say about your motor. It doesn't look like that could be good-to have something electrical covered in oil/grease...? I hope it is okay, though!

SD

Last edited by sdhaevrsi; 04-16-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Standard icky motor stuff.

I still can't get into mine. I have a couple of cracks on my right thumb and I can't get enough force out of my left hand to get it off. I did plug it in and give it a shot. It runs fine but there is two places on the wire that have dried to the point of cracking. Looks like it was exposed to some kind of heat at some point.

I'll be looking for green wires now.
I hope you're right about the "standard stuff". I hate the cracks in fingertips thing. I get that too. I had a hard time undoing those two screws Rain warned would be tight. I have the Chapman screwdrivers. I found it very handy to slide the ratchet onto the handle extension and add the handle. That way I could use the handle to push into the screw and the ratchet to add torque to get those screws loose. Just be careful.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 PM

awesome awesome!! Congrats!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM

The bottom of the terminal block is broken away. I notice the one that is active on ebay has the same problem starting.

I'm glad I found her, but I'm starting to think this will be a parts machine. She's got at least 7 problems at this point.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 AM

Mrs. SewNSew,

From what I saw in your pictures your motor is fine. I cleaning with electrical cleaner would be good. Also use some 600 or finer grit sand paper on a flat edge and clean the commutator (that part burned black where the brushes ride). I clamp a drill in my vise then put the armature in that and run it slow as I clean the commutator.
Then clean the brushes, their springs, wires, the metal tubes they ride in, and the caps in alcohol.

Careful with the internal wires. If the insulation on them is not broken, don't touch them any more than necessary.

Joe
Old 04-17-2014, 04:44 AM

Thank you Joe. *Breathing sigh of relief here... I have some "CRC Lectra-motive Electric parts cleaner" that claims it's "specifically for electric motors". Is this an appropriate cleaner or should I buy something else? I have never used it before. Do I just spray everything inside the motor? Wires, brushes etc?

I had a concern because there was a tiny bit of oil in the brush tube and a drop on the brush. Will the cleaner clean that off or should I replace the brushes because it's contaminated?I am feeling hopeful again!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:41 AM

Mrs. SewnSew Your product sounds fine to me. Wires inside motors have a coat of varnish on them that acts as an insulator. you just need to be careful to use a cleaner that won't harm the varnish. No need to replace your brushes. They'll clean off fine.

Anastasia I rarely see 15-125s come up around here. I'd probably continue fixing the one you have.
Rodney
Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 AM

I probably will fix her up, slowly and as I can find the green parts. I don't mind the cord being changed to white/clear but I don't think I would like the terminal to be black. The rest of the parts are no big deal and I will get them over time.

There's a vendor at one of the local flea markets with random parts; it's in 2 weeks so I will probably search there. And watch eBay of course.

Has anybody done a green Singer and know what paint could be used for touch up?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Mrs. SewnSew Your product sounds fine to me. Wires inside motors have a coat of varnish on them that acts as an insulator. you just need to be careful to use a cleaner that won't harm the varnish. No need to replace your brushes. They'll clean off fine.

Rodney
Yay! I am excited to get back to my machine! Thank you so much for the input. I really appreciate it.

Anastasia, I haven't seen many of the green 15's so hopefully you WILL be able to find the parts you need to get it back together.