Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 07-31-2014, 04:13 AM

I think you might be happier if you march to your own drummer, which is to say, make what YOU like and forget the block of the month stuff. I don't like those or challenge quilts where they are passed around for borders, etc. I make quilts for my family and people I love and not a one has ever criticized my work! Quilting is supposed to be fun and relaxing and how can that happen when you are so stressed??
Old 07-31-2014, 04:31 AM

Hi Dorrie. Don't give up. For cutting accuracy, I go to the $1 store and buy the rubberized shelf liner. You get a ton of it and cut a small piece to put under your ruler. Lay it between the ruler and fabric. The ruler doesn't move and you get nice accurate cut. Don't be upset if you cut the piece of the of shelving because you have a whole roll of it!

If you love quilting, just enjoy yourself. My quilt tops are far from perfect, but that's ok, too. You are being really hard yourself. Try to be forgiving.

Good luck,
Susan
Old 07-31-2014, 04:43 AM

I wonder if you're being too critical about your work? I would love to see some pictures of things you think are way off.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 AM

One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned---after you have completed a seam, check to be sure the bottom layer of fabric has not slipped. If the raw edges of the fabric are not aligned with each other, all the way across the seam, there is no way the blocks will be accurate. Takes a bit more time but a pin, perpendicular to the edges of the fabric, at each end and one or two in the middle might help. Just slip the pin out right before it goes under the presser foot. Also, when you press, be sure you haven't accidentally ironed in little "pleats" parallel to the seam line. I set the seams by ironing the 2 layers against each other, then press to one side from the back and THEN turn patch over and press again from the right side. Use the side of the iron and gently push against the roll of the seam to flatten out any hidden (or obvious) tucks or pleats.
Happy piecing/quilting! Don't give up!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:06 AM

I am hearing you. That's why I do mostly slice and dice or strip quilts and appliqué. Don't be discouraged. Anything soft and cuddly will be appreciated by whom ever you give to. I always say it's not going to be judged and it's handmade so it doesn't have to be perfect. Keep quilting!!.,
Old 07-31-2014, 07:14 AM

I had a machine once with a foot that would NOT go straight. I got a new foot and that helped. Maybe you are an art quilter in disguise! Art quilters don't worry about points or accuracy. How about a class on embellishing fabrics or fusible applique? The wonderful thing about quitling? YOU ​get to decide what it is supposed to look like...and don't let anyone tell you differently!!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:44 AM

Have you also trued up your seam on the machine?

definitely pay for a one on one consultation.

sandy
Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 AM

Well, I guess you have a couple of choices here. 1. You can keep trying. 2. You could ask some one, a trusted quilting friend, who will sew along with you and watch what you are doing that gives you results you are not happy with. 3. You can say, "quilting is wonderful but not my passion". 4. You could give yourself a little emotional break. It sounds like you are being very hard on yourself.

I wish I had "magic suggestions" for you but my wand is bent and the tip is missing. Tee-Hee! If you love quilting, just keep trying and remember that many of us on this site are not perfect quilters. I trust that you have gotten lots of good suggestions from others already. Chin up and quilt on!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 AM

I'm in the the 'do less challenging patterns' camp. I'm still learning and not terribly accurate, but I have lots of fun and make pretty things. I usually do tings like D9P or a pattern called Coconut chips that was a lot of sewing wide strips together and then cutting them in slices and sewing them together again. You can make very pretty blocks without having to be super accurate and stress about it. Why not just do some working on your own with things you can be successful at and leave the more challenging stuff for later?

That said I also agree with having someone experienced help you. Often someone else can spot your problem areas. I also agree with trying different devices to help with your quarter inch seam. We have have different things that work for us. Maybe you just haven't found yours yet? Does the quilt class you've joined have an instructor that you can ask for help?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:06 PM

I can, sometimes match all my seams - but I really much prefer string quilting because it's so liberating.