Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • At what point does one....... >
  • At what point does one.......

• At what point does one.......

Old 08-15-2015, 09:27 AM

When I started quilting I didn't know I was supposed to be a beginner and keep it simple, I just saw a quilt and wanted to make it and I did. Later I found it that it was for advanced quilters but I had already made it and it turned out very good. From then on I did study patterns to see if I would be able to do them and have found if I take it slow and study the pattern I can do most of the quilts I want to do. So I guess it is up to each person as to how far they feel they can go.
    Old 08-15-2015, 09:28 AM
    Power Poster

Personally, I think the categories of beginner, confident beginner, intermediate, advanced; are just guidelines. I have been quilting for some years, but there are some intermediate rated quilts that are ridiculously easy for me and others that are hard. It all depends on your skill sets, as well as what you want to do. Make a test block if you're not sure and that should give you the answer.
    Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 AM

Don't label yourself as "not talented" enough to make a particular quilt. It you have the time, the desire, and patience you can make any quilt you want to if you believe in yourself. There are lots of complicated quilts that I know I could make, but I know I do not have the patience to mKe.
    Old 08-15-2015, 09:51 AM

Good question, and no single answer. I think I will always be, to borrow your phrase, an advanced beginner. I'll never win prizes for my quilts, but I have fun. Since I am a somewhat impatient person and color blind, my quilt making leans to easy quilts because I know that the hard quilts with a million fabrics and pieces will never be finished.

Even so, I think that I became a dedicated quilter when my grandson, then 8. whose father had died, his mother took custody and took him from all the people he considered his family, told me that he loved the quilt I made for him because he watched me make it.

That was during a visit to his new home. His mother is my daughter. I know it was VERY tough on him to go through all that emotional turmoil. Having that quilt gave him real comfort. He'll be 16 in December and he still uses it.

Yes, he seems to have adjusted to his life. My daughter did some growing up, which helped a lot.
    Old 08-15-2015, 10:47 AM

I think we change "categories" as we advance in experience and accuracy. When a quilt pattern doesn't look intimidating any more, you are ready for that step
    Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF
    Wise words have already been said. I think any quilt that you really love is one that you should try. I think WHO writes the instructions matters - as some instructions i've seen were WAY too complicated and poorly written....and some with errors. If you are working on something that you really love - with a pattern and fabric that "speaks" to you - i think that's the key to success, regardless of the degree of difficulty.
    I agree. I have seen some terrible instructions for a simple quilt. However, if you are comfortable, and willing to try it, go for it. Sometimes it is better to try a pattern and find out later it's "a more advanced" pattern. the suggestion of a test block is a good idea - maybe finding one in the pattern from one of the online block libraries- before purchasing the pattern, if you feel hesitant about it.

For example, I did a Dresden plate applique that I found in a book for the second or third quilt I ever made for a guild challenge and it came out fine. But for some reason now, I am reluctant to do any more applique and I think it's more in how I have seen a presentation than the actual effort that puts me off.
    Old 08-15-2015, 11:56 AM

I just make quilts to make me happy. I have no rating system for them. I like to try new things on small projects.
    Old 08-15-2015, 02:20 PM

I think it's about confidence and attitude. If you feel confident go for it. If you have the attitude that you can do it you will. So many times I've heard "I could never make that" and they possibly never will but how will they know if they don't try. Besides you don't have to make a whole quilt, you can just try a block or two and see how it feels for you.
    Happy quilting everyone no matter where you are on your quilting journey.
    Old 08-15-2015, 07:23 PM

Like many of you, I think once you've made a few quilts and basically have learned different skills, then go for it! I figure it I don't learn something with each quilt I make, then it wasn't worth making--so basically I plan to keep quilting and be a life-long learner!
    Old 08-15-2015, 10:27 PM

Good question - I have wondered the same thing. Here are my thoughts. Are you mostly self taught or do you take classes at a quilt shop? Do you do mostly the same type of projects all the time or are you doing very different things that could stretch your skills a little? Also, how often do you sew/quilt - three days a week, or a month or a year?