Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Game Changer >

Rotary Cutter Game Changer

Rotary Cutter Game Changer

Old 09-24-2023, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

Did you know for more accurate cuts the smaller cutter size 28mm is the better one? It will cut through four layers easily and does not push the fabric near as much ahead of the blade like the bigger cutters does. And the blades are cheaper too. I use the smaller cutter a lot for sub cutting.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:42 AM

Question: Where do you store your cutters when not in use? I have a shoe box on a small butler's table underneath my cutting table, which also holds my longer rulers.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Did you know for more accurate cuts the smaller cutter size 28mm is the better one? It will cut through four layers easily and does not push the fabric near as much ahead of the blade like the bigger cutters does. And the blades are cheaper too. I use the smaller cutter a lot for sub cutting.
The smaller ones do work better for that! Also, if you are cutting out applique shapes, sometimes you can use the smallest cutter to do those to as they will go around curves. Also, I have found that the smaller cutters work better for when you are using those slotted rulers like the June Taylor one. It is easier to get the blade in the slot and you do not distort the slots to one side as much.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I have a basket for my rotary cutters on my cutting table. I have a dozen or more. I seldom use the same one for each cutting job so they all keep sharp for a long time.

Use to be the cost of a new cutter was the cost of the blade. So I got the new cutter every time. Lots of door prize wins, gifts, and clearance sales.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:33 AM

I have a short, square vase where I store my rotary cutters and smaller rulers. I drape my klutz glove over all!
Old 09-26-2023, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Somehow over the years I've managed to amass a lot of rotary cutters. Mine should be in one spot but................
Old 10-01-2023, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I bought the cutter from MS. It is very nice and I have to admit it is much better then what I expected. I haven't used any of my other cutters since I got it. I will be ordering another.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the review. I love a new "gizmo" so am sure I will try it too.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:34 PM

I have used an Olfa deluxe 45mm cutter for years. Because of the angle of the blade, I can easily cut through 4-5 layers of fabric while sitting at my sewing desk (cutter handle is parallel to the work surface). The Framore standard cutter feels heavy and has a much chunkier handle than the Olfa. I am unable to use it while sitting because the handle of the cutter needs to be angled at least 135 degrees in order for the blade to cut properly (cutter handle nearly perpendicular to the work surface). It feels very awkward. I staying with my Olfa deluxe.cutter.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:57 AM

I agree with cashs mom, I've always used a 60mm so this would seem small to me, but I do like the idea of the ball bearings. Must be popular though if it's out of stock...may have to break down and try one...for curiosities sake.