Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Game Changer >

Rotary Cutter Game Changer

Rotary Cutter Game Changer

Old 09-21-2023, 03:01 AM

Sounds interesting and I'd like to hear reviews - but, like WesternWilson, I only use cutters that close automatically.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Sounds interesting and I'd like to hear reviews - but, like WesternWilson, I only use cutters that close automatically.
me too. I love my olfa curved handle self close cutters. Getting cheap about changing blades is where my wrist fatigue comes in Because it is gradual I don't even think about it until it starts missing threads. Blades are the cheapest part of this expensive hobby, don't know why we fight changing them so hard.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
just be aware that I like those that close automatically too.... but if you don't push that little button to lock them in place after they close, they will still sometimes open if bumped hard enough. I stuck the blade of one of the ones that close automatically into the vinyl flooring in my kitchen when it dropped off the ironing board. I hate to think what would have happened if it had hit my sandaled foot instead. So, I am always hitting that button when I put it down.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:05 AM

Thanks so much for this news - just ordered one. As I age, my wrists get tired when cutting a lot. I used to have a rotary cutter that closed itself when not pressing down. Then I got one that has a manual close and I am now used to it. So I don't think I'll have a problem with this new one. We;ll see!
Old 09-22-2023, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I did drop a cutter on my foot, the Olfa self closed one. I had on sandals. I got a gash on the top of my foot and had to have stitches. My husband said the cutter is a quilter's switchblade and probably considered a deadly weapon!
Old 09-22-2023, 06:51 AM

Thanks One by One for the blade mfg. recommendation. I can't bring myself to pay the price of the Olfa blades! And at Amazon.ca they had a coupon for the Headley blades, yay! That will work out to CAN$2.50 each blade. I can live with that!
Old 09-22-2023, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

15 blades for $17.23 free shipping is what I pay at Amazon for the Headley titanium coated blades. They are a pretty gold color which means nothing but they are snazzy looking.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:38 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
15 blades for $17.23 free shipping is what I pay at Amazon for the Headley titanium coated blades. They are a pretty gold color which means nothing but they are snazzy looking.
It's actually titanium nitride coating, used as a wear- and corrosion-resistant coating on cutting equipment and as a decorative coating on watches. It's pretty cool and useful stuff
Old 09-22-2023, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

It's actually titanium nitride coating, used as a wear- and corrosion-resistant coating on cutting equipment and as a decorative coating on watches. It's pretty cool and useful stuff

Thanks. That is interesting. I always learn something from this board.
Old 09-22-2023, 07:36 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post

Thanks. That is interesting. I always learn something from this board.
It's a funny full-circle for me. As a college student doing a technical/engineering internship in the 80's, I learned about TiN for electronics. I actually ran (and maintained) the equipment types that are used for its deposition onto things. That's when someone mentioned to me "oh, yeah. Your watch? That gold color is TiN". I later learned of its application as a wear coating. And while looking it up this week, that it's often used on medical implants and surgical instruments since it's non-toxic.