Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men Quilting >

Men Quilting

Men Quilting

Old 01-26-2007, 10:06 AM

Leslee, someone that focused on detail would be a pain to work with anyway. That woman should count her blessings. :lol:
Old 01-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Minda
Tim, I went back and looked at your quilt again after reading what you did with the CAD program. It's great. You wrote in a previous post that you thought this would be the only quilt you would make. Is that still true now that you've actually worked on making a quilt?
Of course not! There are two in the works past the unfinished original one, and I have all the fabric for another. It's all your fault, this obsession. I don't know how, but it is.

tim in san jose (in the middle of 288 half triangle squares)(am I nuts?)
Old 01-26-2007, 12:24 PM

I have 2 nephew that love to help tie tack quilts. They want to watch from beginning to end. The whole process, even if it takes all day. They are 8 and 11. They have taught me that my ideas about certain things being gender-specific is wrong. I encourage them and hope to help them out when they are ready to start their own projects.

Melissa
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM

I realize I'm in the minority, but I am glad that my husband doesn't quilt. I think it's important for couples to have shared interests, but also individual interests. My husband of almost 33 years loves his computer, science fiction, nature, photography and more. I think that's great and I share his love of nature, but my quilting time is my own. We both lead busy lives, and we both need time to ourselves. He knows what projects I'm working on, and I discuss colors and fabrics with him. He encourages me to be creative, but he realizes that this is "my thing". Sometimes he teases me about how many projects I have going at once, I told him I need to quit my job so I can get everything done and do more! He cares so much about my need for my own space, that when I teasingly told him I needed a sewing room, he decided to finish a room in our basement for me. Now all my quilting, cross-stitch, crochet is there, waiting for me to play with it whenever I get the chance. We may not share the same hobbies but we do share our love for each other, our children, and grandchildren.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 PM

Hi Julie....My husband and I also have very different hobbies but are very supportive of each other. Knowing our personalities, I don't think I'd be happy if he were quilting along with me. Everytime I complete a project, quilting or xstitch he wants to know if I'm going to submit it to the county fair. He is very proud of whatever I do. On the other hand when he does some of his writing for his fishing magazine it does need editing and I'm all too happy to do it. He has terrific ideas but needs help with the grammar, spelling, etc. Our one common ground is our 3 boys and our 4 grandsons and our love of the outdoors.

judyjo
Old 01-27-2007, 08:43 AM

I am loving reading about all the men who are quilting!! That's awesome....maybe someday I can get my hubby to try his hand at it....but I doubt it!! LOL
Tim, that quilt is beautiful!!
Gay
Old 01-27-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by julie
I realize I'm in the minority, but I am glad that my husband doesn't quilt. I think it's important for couples to have shared interests, but also individual interests.
I don't think you are in the minority. I wasn't thrilled when my husband started quilting. I wasn't sured I would like enjoying my hobby, but it has been fun and we work on separate projects. Quilting is far from our only hobby / pasttime... we have lots of individual interests that we don't share. I agree that couples need that individual time.

Barb
Old 01-28-2007, 06:35 PM

Tim, What other quilts are you working on? I have about 15 UFOs that I'm going to try and finish this year. I'm glad I am not suffering quilt obsession alone! :lol:
Old 01-28-2007, 09:05 PM

Minda,

Right now I am putting 288 squares face together, sewing the 1/4 inch offsets, and getting ready to slice the diagonal for 288 2 1/2 inch triangle pairs. One side is deep dark chocolate brown, the other is a red/green/yellow diamond print (hard to imagine but it's very nice). These go into a quilt called dazzler. I am making it especially for a newly purchased headboard/footboard for our bed. This piece of furniture is deep dark walnut, about 120 years old, and the headboard is 7 feet 2 inches tall. Solid walnut. The Significant Other (SO) doesn't know about this quilt.

The next one after that is called Homeward Bound from a McCalls Quilting magazine from last fall. I am not doing it all in batiks like the author did, but have carefully selected pairs of patterned fabrics to make the hundreds of different sized flying geese this quilt requires.

The last quilt I have most of the fabric for is called latilla (sp?). a southwestern motif, it involves sewing strips of fabric on a muslin base at a 60 degree angle in long strips. I'll put the long strips together with some more of that dark chocolate fabric (unless I find something I like better).

Other than that, the SO wants me to work on her "Out of Darkness" block of the month quilt that's been sitting around for a number of years. Problem is, I don't do flowers. We will see.

tim in san jose
Old 01-29-2007, 07:08 AM

Tim, I think it's time to expand your horizons. What'cha got against flowers? Hmm? It's good to work outside your comfort zone once in awhile. That's what they say. I have to admit, I'm not sure though. I hated it! But flowers are good. Listen to you SO. Try it...You'll like it! :P

It does sound as if you'll be a tad tied up for a while with all those little triangles. Wow! That's going to be an awesome quilt. And it sounds as if you have the perfect bed to display it on. Be sure to post pictures. We're all waiting to see! :-D