Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men Quilting >

Men Quilting

Men Quilting

Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 PM

What do you want to hear?

I quilt... so I am. I also repair machines, program robots, build furniture, cook very well, eat even better, grow strange peppers and tomatoes, plant iris, don't beat my kids, and am an overall nice guy.

tim in san jose
Old 01-08-2007, 03:08 PM

My father passed away in 1990. He worked at a sewing factory (Harwood) in Virginia just after WW II. Learned to sew pajamas, shirts, light jackets. Also crocheted. 6'3" and a "man's man", stone mason, bricklayer, carpenter, jack of all trades.

When my son returned home after 5 years in Coast Guard, the first thing he asked for ...to carry to his own place ... was the quilt his grandfather made for him when he was 8 or 9 years old.

Retired 2 years ago and now hooked on quilting.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:07 AM

You go guys
kathy
Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM

My husband is not a quilter but appreciates anything I do in the line of needlework. In fact whenever I finish something he asks me if I'm going to submit it for the county fair. He has other hobbies and is good at things I can not do. However, I do have 2 grandsons that quilt. One is 13 and has attended several kids quilting camps that Joann's fabric runs during the summer months. He lives in OH so I can't help him much but he does very well. His 12 year old cousin who is only about 90 miles away from us asked me to teach him how to quilt. Before he was able to get down to my house his other grandmother helped him with a lap quilt. Since then I helped him with a quilted pillow and he's now working on a scrap lap quilt whenever he comes down for a visit. He doesn't have access to a sewing machine at home and doesn't visit too often so it's slow going, but that's OK, too. His quilt pieces are here in a plastic box waiting for him whenever he comes. I do the cutting with the rotary cutter for him.

It's strange but I don't have any daughters or granddaughters but two of my grandsons have expressed this interest in quilting as well as learning how to knit and to do xstitch. So I still have the fun of teaching someone.

Judyjo
Attached Thumbnails princess-quilt.jpg   princess-quilt-back.jpg   yo-yo-corner-princess.jpg   placemat-1.jpg   placemat-2.jpg  

101_0160.jpg   101_0157.jpg  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:00 PM

A photo of my unfinished quilt. Since then I have added a dark wine-red border. The top is ready for pinning. Please excuse my messy 'studio'.

tim in san jose

Yellow Brick Road (with very little yellow)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65548[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65543.jpe  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Tim, after you clean your room put that picture in the picture section so everyone will know where it is. Now be a good boy and finish that quilt. By the way... Nice job I really like the colors.
kathy
Old 01-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Love it!! Another way to use up scraps!

judyjo
Old 01-22-2007, 02:18 PM

Tim, I love the fabrics you picked. You did a great job, and are proof of my theory that men are great quilters because of the masculinity that is expressed in their quilts. We are all artists inside.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by judyjo
Love it!! Another way to use up scraps!

judyjo
Judyjo,

Since it's my first quilt, no wait, my first sewing project, there are no scraps in it. It started as a lap quilt made from Kaffe Fassett stripes and dark red, gray, and navy solids. I figured it would probably be the only quilt I ever made so when I started cutting fabric, I started to ummm... expand it. I found more of the original KF fabric and added some other striped and patterned cloth to it. There is a whimsey or two also thrown in. The quilt top is now 102x108 inches. There are 100 9x9 inch (finished) blocks in the basic design. It is sized for a tall queen bed with a lot of overhang.

tim in san jose
Old 01-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Tim,
That is a very good looking quilt . . . way to go! If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about your 'messy' studio . . . most of the time my 'sewing room' looks about the same or perhaps on some days even messier.

Marion
in Vermont