Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cutting mat  - left to right or right to left >
  • Cutting mat - left to right or right to left

• Cutting mat - left to right or right to left

Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 AM

I'm right handed & learned from LQS beginners class left to right for cutting. When I square up the edge of the fabric, I cut on the right.
    Old 05-16-2011, 11:33 AM

I actually line my fabric up on the lines and cut from both sides. I use a separate ruler to measure. :):):)
    Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 AM

I am right handed but I do everything left to right except write. I even sweep left-handed. Never thought about it before. I don't measure anything on the mat, so don't much care where the numbers are. I only use rulers.
    Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Oh, I don't suppose I should admit this, but I have found myself walking around the table several times, trying to figure out which side to cut it from. LOL I am really thinking about one of those June Taylor mats with the slots in them, after reading such good things about them on this site, might just solve my cutting problem!
    Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM

So my remedy for the "new" mat is to take a permanent marker and mark below the original numbers-backwards.That way you can still cut right to left with those measurements. :thumbup: :!:
    Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 PM

I seldom even refer to the numbers unless I want a quick idea how long a scrap is - - I line up with a line and count over the 4, 5, or 6 inches I am looking for for a block cut. I would think you could just use a sharpie and renumber to your satisfaction. I have drawn all over mine - a 3 1/2" square, a 4 1/2" square etc. for quick reference.

Marysewfun
    Old 05-16-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I'm a self taught quilter so I may very well have taught myself a bad habit. I like measuring and cutting from right to left and bottom to top (ie I place the lower right corner of fabric in the lower right corner of mat and slide my ruler to the left as I measure out to cut). I was OK with this until I bought a new cutting mat.

My Omnigrid (old mat) has horizontal markings that begin with 1" in the lower right corner and the vertical markings have both 1" in a small font and the large font is the reverse marking (24").

I bought a new mat recently to cover my entire board. It's not a self healing mat - it's the other type (made by Beba). Anyway, I didn't notice that mat is oriented to the left - both the vertical and horizontal markings for 1" are ONLY in the lower left corner. If I want to measure in both directions from the right I have to count backwards!! Wish I had noticed this when I bought it. If I flip it to the opposite side, the horizontal markings are left to right but the vertical markings are top to bottom. No where on the mat do the 1" markings meet at a corner.

So I wondered ... does anyone (other than lefties) cut from left to right? I looked at quite a few mats online just now and there seems to be as many right to left as there are left to right.

Argh ... I just went and marked my new mat with a magic marker to see if that will end my aggravation.
    I rarely use the lines on the cutting mat to guide me. that is
    what my accurate rulers are for. if you notice you have to change rotary blades way more often---it is that white mat.
    I's use the Olfa on top of the white one. with skid-proof
    rubber matting under it. you can cut from right to left using two rulers very easily. that way, your cutting ruler is always
    on top of the majority of your fabric for stability.
    Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 PM

If you don't like the look of the sharpie, put scrapbooking or office supply number stickers on it?
    Old 05-16-2011, 04:55 PM

Left to right. Righty. Good ideas!
    Old 05-16-2011, 05:18 PM

I cut left to right....first cut a straight edge...put straight edge
    at left side and cut left to right...I am right handed, but this
    is the way I was taught in quilt class.....I use the ruler to measure not the mat....so don't see how that would work left
    to right, unless I was left handed....was told in class to never use the lines on the mat as a true measure.

Peg