Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting mat  - left to right or right to left >

Cutting mat - left to right or right to left

Cutting mat - left to right or right to left

Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 AM

I always measure my cuts with my ruler, not the mat.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by milp04
Hi Sue, I only use the lines on the mats to help line up my fabric. I don't use the mat lines to cut by. I use my rulers to measure and cut the fabric. I don't cut near the lines on the mat. I even sometimes angle my fabric for cutting if cutting small sections so as to not continually be cutting on the straight lines of the mat.

Pam M
Same for me. I even stand to the sides of it and cut long borders & strips across the surface instead of up & down. My friend always uses the lines on the mat to measure & goes through cutting mats much faster than I do.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 AM

I never use my mat to measure with. I use only my rulers. I am never sure that the measurements on the mat are true to size. The rulers I am sure of. I will use the lines on the cutting mat to make sure that my fabric is straight before I start cutting, but will never use the mat to measure with, only to cut my material out on.
I am also a right-handed individual and do start cutting on the left side and move to the right.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 AM

I am taking a class and the teacher is left handed I myself as well she is teaching the entire class to cut with both hands you should try I would have never believed that I could the Omni-grid mat that I have has a few lines that are not accurate so make sure that you check with a rule before you cut or you will be off if the lines are a smidgen off we are also taught to use our rule and not the lines on the mat Teacher is a perfectionist which I like you do a great job in her class
Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 AM

Ricky Tims says to only use your mat to line up your fabric and to use your ruler to measure and cut from the left to the right....but that's Ricky Tims. I've seen him "cheat" already though, in his flying geese tute on YouTube. Imagine that! LOL
My personal experience...I started out using my mat to measure and cut from right to left with a good measure of success. Over time though, grooves were worn in my mat, aging it well before its time. I've switched from doing it that way, to using the mat to line up my fabric and using my ruler to cut from left to right. I've found by doing it this way, my strips were more accurate. It is a pain to have to use 2 rulers when your strips measure more than 6.5 inches, but to me, accuracy is worth more than ease...but that's just me. Experiment and see which one works better for you. Rest assured that whichever method you choose to use, it will not prompt a visit from the "Quilt Police". I've tried a bunch of things that were suggested on this board that I might not have tried before...some worked, some didn't, but at least I gave it a shot. Quilting is all about enjoyment...if you have to apply rules, it becomes a chore. So use what works for you and have yourself a great time doing it!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 AM

I'm right handed and go from left to right.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:58 AM

i use my mat for cutting not measuring
Old 05-16-2011, 06:03 AM

Great discussion. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 AM

I've done it both ways, depending on how much table space I have to cut - and it works both ways for me. I do not have a cutting table persay - I use the kitchen/dining room table and it houses everything from his mail to the papers and magazines, and heaven forbid anything get moved; not a good situation, but that is how I got to cutting either way - depending on the other "situation".... I'm right handed - and I cut from bottom to top - or if I'm cutting longways across the width of the fabric in front of me, I cut right to left. BUT I have also cut from left to right on there also.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
Umm, I've always been told not to use the mat to measure with, but I must confess I use mine at least to line it up and then use the ruler to cut. How about if you used a fine sharpie to write the correct numbers under the incorrect ones? Or maybe every other one rather then all?

It's interesting, I just bought a new mat and haven't used it much myself, I need to check and see how the numbers run, I bought an Alvin after I saw glowing raves, here I think.
I have to agree with this post about NOT using the mat for measurements. I use two rulers for aligning up and measuring. Then I remove either the right or left ruler to cut with either hand. ALSO, I will use a ruler that is at least 24 inches and push it up against the wall so it cannot move any direction. The mat and fabric underneath can then be adjusted to line up correctly. I get much more accurate results this way. EXCEPT when I forget to put a piece of tape beside the measurement I am using! Had to go buy more fabric for last log cabin quilt I made as the kit did not allow for my mistakes! Happy cutting and quilting!