These are some pictures to entice you

Porch overlooking Lake Huron
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217533[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217527.jpe  
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Google Goddess

beautiful pictures of the retreat area
Old 06-27-2011, 01:50 PM

thank You Crafty Bear, I hope you might be able to make it. Did you see the date? 11-11-11
Old 06-28-2011, 02:40 AM

Some things you need to check in the room where sewing will be set up.

Tables: two people to a 6" banquet table is the minimum space. Can the tables be moved around? Will the building be locked so we can leave machines overnight?

Talk to the camp, maybe the electrician about power. By the time everybody plugs in machines, ott lights and irons, can the circuits hold this? We will not be happy blowing lines.
What about plugs, we need electricity to each table.

Are you having any kind of trunk show? Bringing in a speaker would be nice. It would only add a few dollars to each attendee's fee.

Just a few of my suggestions.
Jean
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Not sure what a trunk show is. We can set up the tables any way we want. Yes, security is OK, am working on the power question. I had not thought of it, but when I talked to Deb at "Sisters in Quilting" in Marlette, (she is vendoring the retreat), she brought that up, so I will be making a call to them. Keep fingers crossed. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 AM

I have several interested people, I expect to get to the 8 by end of summer when more information gets posted.

A trunk show is a speaker. They usually bring their quilts to show in a trunk. Popular at quilt shows and retreats. Perhaps the quilt shop you are working with can provide someone for this for a fee.

The Marlette quilt shop did a nice demo of the twist template at the Columbiaville quilt show to sell the templates. They would probably be willing to do this at their vendor booth.

I would be willing to help with some quilty type games for evening fun. Perhaps others would volunteer to do demos during the day. I have several ideas for activities since I attend a simular retreat every July.

Jean
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 AM

I would love to have your help! I've been trying to think of some fun activities. I am going to check with a local winery and see if they would do a tasting for anyone interested. Debbie at sisters is vendoring and has offered to do a class, free with purchase of supplies. I will put a question on the registration form to determiine type of class. And to see if anyone is interested in the wine tasting. I have been tryint to think of a fun way to swap, or an activity to get everyone up and moving every hour or so. Don't want to over-do, but want to leave them wanting more. For next year. I collect vintage machines and thought I might have a treadle or two set up just for people to experience if they have not already. Working right now on making sure we have enough power to run everything without blowing circuits. I hadn't thought of that, someone reminded me. That is what I like about this venue, everyone is willing to help out any way they can. I love this forum. I am anxious to meet new people. I have relatives in Lapeer area, haven't spent much time that way since my DM passed a couple of years ago, prior to that Lapeer was a "go to place" for us.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 AM

I was just viewing the camps website and they strongly urge everyone to bring their own flashlight as there are no yard lights and it gets very dark. Also if I read it correctly we must bring our own bedding or sleeping bag and towels.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by judykay
I was just viewing the camps website and they strongly urge everyone to bring their own flashlight as there are no yard lights and it gets very dark. Also if I read it correctly we must bring our own bedding or sleeping bag and towels.
These are really good things to know!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:23 AM

I am working on a registration form and flyer that will give all the information. I am glad to see the suggestions, as I am sure I will not think of something. LOL. Yes, attendees will need to bring bedding, toiletries (toilet paper is supplied) and personal sewing supplies. Also, we will provide coffee, tea, hot cocoa and water. I will have some soda's available, but if you like a certain drink, you may want to bring that and any personal snacks. It was suggested that each attendee bring a snack to share. It is my intention to have fresh fruits and vegies available throughout the event. And just an aside. I have gotten Deb from Sisters in Quilting to vendor the event. Her store is located in Marlette, local quilters will be quite aware of their store. They will attend the vendor show in Huston the week prior and promise to bring a lot the new stuff with them. In other words, our attendees will be some of the first to see whats new for the year. YEA!!!!! Deb has also agreed to teach a class for those that would like that. I will put a selection form on the registration and will use that information to determine what the class will be. It will be free to those that purchase supplies from her. So..... that is the latest update on the event. Thank you for all the interest.