Quilt Retreat on Lake Huron

Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM

I am trying something new, new to me at any rate. I want to organize a simple retreat in Sanilac County at a campground on Lake Huron. Cabins would provide the housing. With real beds and real mattresses. Meals will be provided by camp staff, and the price is VERY reasonable.
Since this is the first time for me organizing this type of thing, I thought I'd get some advice from others that might be interested in coming to it. I have been looking at Friday, Saturday and Sunday; since that is when I thought would be a good time of the week. But I'd like to know what others think, would that be a good time? Or is Mid-week better? Also, as far as the planning, I was thinking eat, sew, eat, sew, eat, sleep, do it all over again. Planning some very simple activities, but keeping it loose so no one is overwhelmed with schedules. I am open to any suggestions regarding every aspect of the event. I am very excited about doing this and want to make sure everyone has a great time and wants to come back again. Give me your thoughts, PLEASE!!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, sounds like fun when are you planning this
Old 06-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Oct or Nov. I want Sept but they are booked. Toured the place today and it looks GREAT!!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the link to the spot

http://campcavell.org/Gen_Info/Inform.htm

Originally Posted by buslady
Oct or Nov. I want Sept but they are booked. Toured the place today and it looks GREAT!!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM

Sure wish I lived closer.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 AM

Sounds like a plan
Old 06-18-2011, 05:45 AM

Quilters love to shop so make sure there are quilt shops in the area & ask them if they would give a discount for the quilters on retreat weekend. I have been to a few retreats and found out that sewing and shopping are all that is needed to keep quilters happy, keep it simple. We would have a drawing through out the day on Saturday for various prizes.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 AM

This sounds like a lot of fun! If I may, I'd like to suggest that you come up with some prices for gals who go to these things solo ... not with friends/family. I know there's a lot of us out there who would go to something like this but don't because the prices for one person can get kind of high.

Also, how about having a fun event where everyone (who wants to) can participate right there at the Retreat. I put together a bus trip one time and found the folks loved something simple but didn't require much effort on their parts. Besides, we sure did entertain the bus driver! I've got a couple of suggestions if you're interested. Just PM me.

I'm in Michigan so please be sure to post the dates here when you get it all together.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 AM
elm

Sounds interesting. Retreats I've heard about seem to have the pattern you've mentioned. Have you tried googling quilt retreats to get ideas?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Location is Lexington. half hour to Pt Huron with several fabric shops. AAlso one in Lexington Heights, one in Marlette, one yp in tip of thumb. Lots on way in all directions. maybe I can put out a map prior to the event. Looking at November, Friday night til Sunday after lunch. Would be a out $125 per person for lodging and food. the camp would do the cooking, lodbing is several cabins sleeping 6-12 each. there are some bedrooms, but mostly dorm type sleeping. IE: cabin with dorm for 8, 2 bedrooms with bunk bed, 2 bathroo,s and kitchenette. One cabin with 2 bedrooms with unk bed, a sofa bed in the living room, athroom and kitchenette. Craftybear in post above has a link to the website with info.