Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-01-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I'm afraid of the shipping issue, so I don't even look at E-bay.
I lost $50+ worth of yarn that was apparently never shipped. And no recourse.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Swap Hosts

If you find something you like, ask LOTS of questions. Look at the feedback rating of the seller, too. Then use Paypal to pay. If something happens, you can file a claim with Paypal and they will give you back your money.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:15 AM

I used to sell on Ebay, and I was a good seller, but there are many dishonest and irresponsible people out there. I would definitely buy a vintage machine on there, as I would assume I need to get it serviced. I don't know if I would buy a new machine, though, unless the seller had a good feedback record.

Buyer beware!!!

Nancy
Old 10-02-2011, 03:23 AM

I have only ordered twice on Ebay, burned twice, never again.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

We have purchased many machines on E-Bay. The only two experiences that were not good were (1) We bought a Featherweight that was in good condition except the bobbin case was missing. We contacted the seller. He had said the machine belonged to his aunt and he knew nothing about machines. He agreed to split the cost of a bobbin case. The original price on the Featherweight was only $137. (2) We purchased a 99 in a Bentwood case. It was shipped in a used box that was very flimsy. There was no packing and the machine was loose from the case. It came from California and the seller did not respond to our requests. The thread pin was broken off the machine, the machine was scarred up and the case arrived in splinters. We went to E-Bay dispute resolutions and they refunded our money including shipping and sent us shipping $$'s for the return. We did not have insurance on the machine however the seller was guilty of improper packing according to E-Bay. I have found if you pay with Pay Pal you are doubly protected.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265100.jpe   attachment-265101.jpe   attachment-265102.jpe  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:43 AM

My friend bought a Featherweight on eBay, it came from G.B., she didn't realize that they plug would be different for the U.S.A., cost her 150.00 to get it changed over above the price she paid for the Featherweight.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 AM

I bought a black featherweight from eBay and my hubby surprised me with a white one also bought on eBay. Both purchases were easy shipping was reasonable and the experience was great.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:49 AM

I bought my first Featherweight on Ebay and all went very well. Check feedback, shipping fees, and if you have questions, ASK.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:50 AM

I read descriptions very carefully. If they don't mention if it runs, ask. I also worry about packing, if they don't say that they are experienced and will pack well, I would send them a message and ask that they pack well even if it cost me more for packing material. Have fun shopping.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

I've purchased at least 4 machines on Ebay- all older Singers, mechanical. No problems at all. 2 were sellers who sell machines and know a lot about them- the other 2 were regular sellers. Before I bid and after I won I emailed the seller and stressed how important good packing is and to please pay attention to it.
I only buy from sellers with good feedback- sure, something could go wrong but the chances are much slimmer. I sell on Ebay and my reputation on there means a lot to me.
As someone else wrote- ask lots of questions before you buy.
And I also think insurance is a joke- but Paypal protection is great.
Good luck!! :)