Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Fabric on eBay

Blog Entries
    Somewhere in an unrelated topic here, someone dropped a comment about "I'll never do THAT again" referring to purchasing fabric on ebay.

What's been your experience purchasing fabric on eBay? Is it really something to avoid? What should newbie eBay users (or ebay users new to purchasing quilting related items) be aware of?

Thanks!

-- Jillaine

Good question!!! I want to see the answers to this one too!!

I have never had trouble buying fabric on EBay. I wonder what the problem was?
    I will be watching this thread too.

I have always had a good experience.

I've bought plenty of fabric on ebay and never had a problem. I make sure the buyer has an excellent feedback rating before I buy. I usually have to email the seller prior to buying to get shipping information because I'm in Canada so I also get an idea of how well they communicate.

There's so much there it would be a shame to avoid it because of someone's bad experience. And we've only heard one side of the story.

I've bought fabric and quilt blocks/tops. Smoke free is important to me, but fabric can be washed. I've never had a problem and gotten some good buys. Check the sellers feedback too and make sure it is good. See what other buyers have to say. Good Luck, I am a real ebay lover, gets me into trouble sometimes, haha

I've bought fabric on ebay and never had trouble. Mostly layers cakes and charm packs. Just check the ratings on the seller.

If you buy a known, quality manufacturer of fabric via ebay there shouldn't be issues. The problem is buying unknown quality or "lots" of fabric that are see through, poor quality etc. You can't feel it and have to go by photos which can be misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    Somewhere in an unrelated topic here, someone dropped a comment about "I'll never do THAT again" referring to purchasing fabric on ebay.

What's been your experience purchasing fabric on eBay? Is it really something to avoid? What should newbie eBay users (or ebay users new to purchasing quilting related items) be aware of?

Thanks!

-- Jillaine
    here is a comment on the QB from another thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-105418-1.htm

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have made ebay fabric purchases and most of the time, maybe 90%, all is well and I'm very pleased. But, now and then it doesn't work. Either the color in the photo wasn't accurate (dark blue and white in reality, but the ad said black and white) or the quality isn't what I'd hoped. But--the price can't be beat. Just last night I purchased 16 yards from four sellers and with shipping it worked out to $5.75 a yard. Several pieces were ones I couldn't find elsewhere. And with the price of gas....

I have learned to be very careful buying black and white fabric on line because it comes black and cream too often. If color has to be perfect (I'm looking for a light green now), I wouldn't buy from ebay--but from a on-line quilt shop I know is accurate 100% of the time.

Try just a little and see how it goes. Remember, too--up to 8 yards usually ships for $5.

Blog Entries
    I buy fabrics on ebay in USA and Germany. I never had problems in one of these countrys. I always got, what I bought and the shipping costs from USA to Germany were almost fair and real. But you must check their conditions before bidding!

I have never had any problems with the fabric I purchase on EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine

Thanks!

-- Jillaine

Usually I already know what I want and have seen it at a store - or it's part of a collection that I can't find locally. I have purchased some Kaffe Fasset FQ's but sometimes the bidding gets pretty high. Now there is so much on sale that it's almost overwhelming and I don't think the prices are very good. But I have not had a problem ever as far as that goes.

Oh, gosh, at least 2/3 or 3/4 of my stash is from eBay - I love, love, LOVE my eBay sellers! :)

If someone's f/b is less than about 99.5%, check their negs and neutrals. I just had a bad experience with a seller who hadn't shipped in a month and finally issued a full refund. If I had paid attention to the 98.1% f/b before I ordered, I wouldn't have bought from her. There are plenty of really GREAT sellers - no need to settle for lackadaisical service.

98.1% might be terrific on a math test, but it's a TERRIBLE eBay feedback rating.

I tend to go back to the same sellers over and over - they sell nice fabrics at great prices and they ship within two or three days of my paying for the order.

I have bought a lot of fabric on ebay. I usually look for brand names, otherwise, you don't know what kind of quality you're getting. Also check the seller's feedback and how long they've been selling.

Blog Entries
    I used to purchase from ebay and have never had a problem. I do remember a post where someone purchased fabric from someone who did not says "from a smoke free house" and received fabric that had a terrible smell. I would watch for this, and you can send a question to anyone who does not state this.

I did buy some squares a few years ago and the quality was terrible even though it said Quilt Shop Quality, so that is something to watch.

I've bought fabric and not had problems with them.

On the other hand, I've bought squares and had some bad luck with them being so out of square it wasn't funny. On one lady, she apologized and said her niece had been helping and it appears she didn't understand about how important squareness was...she replaced them. Another lady replaced them with the wrong squares (twice) and I finally gave up with her...was getting too frustrated with her.

So I won't buy squares again but will buy specialty prints if I "love them".

I'll be watching this thread also. I have bought fabric in the past and am now selling vintage fabrics (or trying to.) I only had one bad experience and it was someone who is in my eBay group. The quality was not the best, though the price wasn't too bad. I just won't buy from her again.
    I know one thing hurting me right now is the shipping cost. I even had a buyer ask why my shipping was so high; I responded I did not set the price on USPS. As a sidenote, she did purchase from me.
    I also agree you need to check the feedback and ask questions.

MTS
    Banned
    I've been buying and selling fabric successfully on eBay for close to 10 years. From/to every continent except Antarctica.

If you're smart about it, it's wonderful.

But - and let me say this for the 100th time - if you don't do your homework and learn the rules of the sandbox, as either a buyer or a seller, and you get screwed, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I have bought fabric on Ebay and I have never had a problem.

Blog Entries
    I have bought quite a bit of fabric on Ebay. Iv'e only had 1 bad experience and that was smoke smell, and it said a smoke free home. Oh well only once isn't bad. Can get some really great deals on there.

I have purhased frabic as well as other items on ebay many times. I have only had 1 disappointment. In that case,I was so excited about finding the fabric that I failed to realize that the vendor had not provide a detailed discription of the fabric. What I received was useable, however, the design was not actually printed as part of the fabric. It was more like a rubber material that had been ironed on to a piece of cheap white fabric. If I had known that the design was not actually printed as part of the fabric, I would not have purchased it. So my advise is to make sure that the vender provides a detailed description of the item, that you check the vendors rating on the ebay system and read the comments made by prior customers of that vendor. You should also make sure the shipping cost is reasonable.

Let me say again, I have been happy with all other purchases made on ebay. I have received exactly what I was expecting and they have all been received by the date provided by the vendor.

Some of my favorite sellers:

Judipat: Huge assortment of wide backings and blenders. Never had a poor quality fabric from her, even when I bought the bargain flat folds. Really nice stuff and super fast shipping.
    http://stores.ebay.com/QUILT-UNIQUE-...D-GIFTS?_rdc=1

Frank's - very fast and easy to deal with - I've bought a lot of his FQ assortments, recently Jinny Beyer, 30's & CW collections. There are usually a couple of "stinkers" in the assortments, but at $1.00 each and actual shipping charges, you are getting a real bargain:
    http://shop.ebay.com/franks11/m.html..._from=&_ipg=25

Luxury Fabrics - I've bought a ton of white linen from her - very nice quality, excellent service:
    http://stores.ebay.com/With-a-Cherry...-Please?_rdc=1

Moda pre-cuts and yardage - fast and easy, doesn't gouge on shipping - great sales prices:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Southern-Fabric-Store

Civil War, 19th & 20th Century repros, novelties - very fast service and doesn't gouge on shipping. Nice FQ bundles:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Nauvoo-Quilt-Co

Moda Pre-Cuts and Yardage - very fast service, doesn't gouge on shipping:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Crazyquiltgirl-Fabric-Shop

Quilting notions, rulers, templates, patterns, Moda fabrics, trims, gifts - always very fast and easy:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Vintage-Mkt

Sewing Notions - huge selection, good prices, fast shipping:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Gotta-Notion?_rdc=1

I have purchased several lots of 100% cotton from different sellers, usually estate sales, or someone reducing their stash. All these were great finds. There was one though that was not 100% cotton and in the description it did state !00% cotton. Several large pieces were blends. I still got a good bargin for what was 100%. -- I also buy from fabric stores and have been very pleased.

ebay ok, just make sure of feedback,

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast