Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Fabric on eBay

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    I've bought fabric and not had problems with them.

On the other hand, I've bought squares and had some bad luck with them being so out of square it wasn't funny. On one lady, she apologized and said her niece had been helping and it appears she didn't understand about how important squareness was...she replaced them. Another lady replaced them with the wrong squares (twice) and I finally gave up with her...was getting too frustrated with her.

So I won't buy squares again but will buy specialty prints if I "love them".
    I both buy and sell fabric on eBay. I watch for the feedback % (mine is 100%) before I buy. I only had one bad purchase and it was squares she cut herself. She cut the cars characters in half and did not follow the grain line. She refunded me immediately. I will only buy manufacturer precuts or yardage. But I have had very good luck with some great fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I have had a few issue with fabric I bought but it really was my fault because I didn't check the listing carefully. Most of the time it will state quilt shop quality fabric and then you will be OK, also the name brands are always OK. I bought some jelly rolls that were not very good quality, but it was very cheap, so I guess you do get what you pay for,

I haven't ventured into eBay, but this seller is fast, accurate, communicates well and I have bought several times from her. Colors are almost perfect on my screen and prices are reasonable.

http://www.blujay.com/?page=profile&...e=justjoansetc

Thanks for the lists of sellers. I havent done ebay yet, but with the high price of gas, I may.
    I have had great luck wih sellers here!

I buy lots of fabric on ebay and have never had a problem, I can almost always find fabric from lines I may have a charm pack or jelly roll from and I want fabric for borders and backing. The prices usually aren't better than a good quilt shop, but I can find what I am looking for.

I have bought a lot of fabric on EBAY and been successful. The real trick is knowing what you want and asking questions. Lots are OK to bid on but my experience with them is that sometimes non quilters includes fabric that may not suit your need for quilting. That being said I always find a use for that fabric that I do not use in my quilts.

Also I have found specific fabric that I was in need of on Ebay that was no longer available in brick and mortar stores. Great source of fabric - but not always cheaper than on sale prices at other stores.

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Some of my favorite sellers: ...

Frank's - very fast and easy to deal with - I've bought a lot of his FQ assortments, recently Jinny Beyer, 30's & CW collections. There are usually a couple of "stinkers" in the assortments, but at $1.00 each and actual shipping charges, you are getting a real bargain:
    http://shop.ebay.com/franks11/m.html..._from=&_ipg=25
    Franks actually has a brick and mortar store not too far from me - he is a hoot, the store is in a dumpy building and his prices are as cheap as can be if he has what you want.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I loooove buying fabrics on Ebay! There are so many good sellers with fine fabrics and great shipping prices!!
    As long as they have good feedback go for it! :D:D

I went thru a charm pack phase purchasing on ebay and never had a bad experience. I then bookmaarked those sellers for future purchases.

I have had wonderful experiences buying fabrics from ebay. Of course, I do make sure that I know what brands I am buying. The sellers are rated, and I have never had a problem. Actually, one can get some great deals on there.

Blog Entries
    Love my ebay fabric & sellers. I found a few sellers in Montana who sell quilt-quality brand names - not so close to home; its at least 10 hour drive across this state! But because its within the state, I've gotten great ship rates & flat rate boxes can be really full, taped well & still not cost an arm & a leg to ship. My MT sellers let me know when they have sales - nice.
    Good luck to all who buy on ebay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflies5518
    I went thru a charm pack phase purchasing on ebay and never had a bad experience. I then bookmaarked those sellers for future purchases.
    Same here. I've also gotten some really nice blocks including some vintage.

Like others have said, check the feedback, read the description, ask questions, and don't forget to Factor in the cost of shipping before placing your maximum bid. Also, know what you want to spend and don't get caught up in a bidding war.

I do it constantly and only a couple of times have I need disappointed...but it was always with the fact that what I bought didn't match well enough with what I was buying it for....which is a computer monitor thing and could have happened on any site. I bought 3 FQ's from the same person today (with 10,900 or so feedback) so I'm sure I'll be happy with it. These were all black and white so the colors are bound to work!

I think anything you buy on line is a risk. Just depends on how much of a risk you want to take with your money

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    don't forget to Factor in the cost of shipping before placing your maximum bid. Also, know what you want to spend and don't get caught up in a bidding war.
    heh heh... some of my earliest ebay lessons...

was so thrilled to get something for like, $5,then saw that shipping and handling was $15. AFTER I won the bid. UGH.

As for bidding wars: I wait them out, come in at the very last moment and put in my bid. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Here's someone I buy from frequently- fabulous communication, service, and puts as much as possible in a 5.15 envelope.

http://stores.ebay.com/Mo-and-Macs-Fabric-Shack?_rdc=1

Okay, everyone. I'm looking for four or five yards of dark chocolate brown toile with cream print or village print. I've checked with local quilt shops and it is a fabric that was out a few years ago and no one has any now. I am going to make an Ink Well quilt with browns and cream or beiges. I need suggestions on where I can purchase this fabric. Any help would be much appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Wanted to add, I always use the "Buy it Now" choice--I'm never around to bid when I need to make changes and it's more time consuming.

I have had excellent luck buying fabric on e-bay. I do make sure they have a good record before I bid, but haven't been let down yet! Got some gorgeous stuff there!

I purchase fabric on ebay all the time the only problem doing this is you never get to feel the fabric for the thickness and quality of it. I have had a couple of seller on Ebay who mislead the fabric by making buyers think the fabric is actually thicker than it actually is they do this by putting a piece of thick cardboard in between the fabric and wrap fabric around cardboard then take the picture.
    It is annoying but feedback is there for a reason the sellers are doing themselves no favours by doing this as feedback reflects they fabric.
    I have regular good fabric sellers which i use regularly

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    Wanted to add, I always use the "Buy it Now" choice--I'm never around to bid when I need to make changes and it's more time consuming.
    Snipe it. :mrgreen:

Haven't bought any in awhile, but in the past I've purchased fabric several times, got some really great deals...Have had no problems....

No problems...have bought and sold fabric on ebay

I have bought lots of fabric and the only drawback is not getting to feel it first. Some peoples opinion of cotton is different from others.

It is important to watch the number of strips or squares if you are buying jelly rolls or charms. Sometimes you can get fooled. So far I have done okay and the fabrics were great.

I am pretty new to officialy "quilting" and even more new in regards to purchasing fabric on ebay.
    I bought a big amount from two or three "main" fabric suppliers, and have never had a problem with either the price, quality or picture.

I will be posting some pics after I finish organizing my new stash and the shelves and brand new table my cowboy made for me, but have always had a pleasant and complete experience. Hope it helps!

PS If you want to know who I have ordered from, send me a pm and I will let you know. Some are actually members on our board here, which I feel is a positive!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast