Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Fabric on eBay >

Buying Fabric on eBay

Buying Fabric on eBay

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM

I buy lots of fabric from Ebay. Last night I purchased 6 yards for a lap quilt I made from a jelly roll. It is an older jelly roll and I couldn't find the fabric anywhere. I always check the seller's feedback rating and make sure it comes from a smoke free home.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM

I got a great piece of vintage fabric on ebay. Another time what I thought was yo-yos turned out to be 1 inch circles. So embarrassed, just sucked it up.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 AM

I did buy some fabric that was supposed to be silk and velvet scraps. The package was $65 and I just wanted to send it back and get my money back since it was everything, but not silks or velvet. The seller would not take it back and e-bay did not give me any help.
On another purchase I received axactly as advertised and was very pleased. As they say buyer beware.
Rosie
Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by redmadder
I got a great piece of vintage fabric on ebay. Another time what I thought was yo-yos turned out to be 1 inch circles. So embarrassed, just sucked it up.
It's called tuition. ;) ;) No need to be embarrassed.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 AM

I have purchased fabric on e-bay. I look for words like quilt store quality or specific names like Moda, RJR, Timeless Treasures to help me decide. I have found that the more cutsy the fabric, more likely it is not of high quality. I have received poorer quality in the past. I am much more careful now. And you get good deals there.

That said I usually buy my fabric at LQS or through Connecting Threads. I spend more, but I get what I want instead of what is being offered.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Unlike many, I bought some fabric lots years ago and was seriously unhappy. Altho they were supposed to be from a quilt shop (got me, tricky wording, I guess), it was not all cotton or even quilting fabric. Lots of knits, overpriced to boot. I also had trouble when buying some squares, they included the selvedge!! Guess I should have returned then and raised a stink, but I didn't have the energy then and basically just quilt buying. Now that I have some good sellers, maybe I'll go look again. It's been quite a while.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
. . . . I always check the seller's feedback rating and make sure it comes from a smoke free home.
Me, too. Especially from the smoke free home. I have purchased things from e-bay that has such a yucky smokey smell that I wind up throwing it away or sending it back if the cost was more than I can to throw away.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 AM

I love Ebay gotten some really good deals plus Iv also sold alot, I just make sure of the feedback there percentage rate for example if there feedback is 113 and there percentage is 80 per cent don't buy ,read the post or message really good so you know exactlly what your getting , if I have questions I email and ask, I only do paypal because of the protection policy they have and its much easier and quicker
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 AM

I have made a lot of fabric purchases on ebay in the last few months and there is only one where the color was a little different than pictured (but I still love it) but I think that is a computer monitor issue, like TVs diferent ones can have different colors on the same show.

I do make a point of only buying fabrics like Moda, Thimbleberries, Jinny Beyer, etc. and I do watch the ratings and make sure that they have a positive feedback record
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 AM

I have brought lots of fabric from ebay and alway's very pleased with my purchase.