Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Fabric on eBay >

Buying Fabric on eBay

Buying Fabric on eBay

Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM

In the past I have bought 4, 5, and 6 inch squares in packages of 25 or more for a very reasonable price and been very happy with them.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 AM

I've bought fabric on e-bay. It was fine. I always check the sellers rating before I do anything though.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 AM
kso

I have bought several items and no problem until this last order. The red and black plaid that I purchased turned out to be red and green when it arrived.

Again, the seller had less than 100% rating. They were also late in mailing and never responded to any of my emails. Luckily the total for the purchase for less thatn $10.00.

My big gripe abt anything ebay is the sellers who charged higher than actual shipping costs or charge handling charges on top of shipping.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Twistedstitcher, your Avatar is absolutely adorable!
Thank you! That's Casey, our 10 year old Shih Tzu/Lhasa Apso cross. He's a sweetie.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 AM

I am doing a quilt for my 4 y.o. granddaughter. The focus is selected Disney princess. One of the princess was to be Jasmine. I needed fabric with the princess repeated so I could make 5in sqs. The only place I found anything was ebay but when it came (from Asia) it was a panel and Jasmine was very tall and I could not use. For some reason, I thought Jasmine would be repeated several times. I am surprised Disney has no fabric with all the princess on it.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 AM

I like to buy vintage kid prints and have gotten some on e-bay. I recommend this: make sure the size is what you are looking for. I bid on some and thought it was fat quarters, when I got it discovered it was 8x10 size. Very disappointing, but my fault. ASK QUESTIONS about shipping charges, if you can save on shipping if you win another bid from this seller, size of fabric you are bidding on and if it is washed or not. Smoke free and pet free is important.
I have a long hair white dog, but that is me getting the hair on the fabric not another dog's. haha
Old 03-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I do buy both lots and packs of brand name fat quarters. Overal it has been good especially the brand name FQ. Besure to check shipping and if FQ or cut by the manufacture or shop. As for lots from individuals there is often something funky. The biggest problem being people selling fabric as quilt shop or 100% cotton and its not but I have had the same issue with buying off this board. I am reevaluating buying from individuals but because of economy it appears to be my better option. It could also be some people think Walmart, Joanns and such places are considered local quilt shop and polly cotton is ok or they were not aware it was not cotton. I like to think the best of people.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 AM

I have never had any trouble with buying fabric on ebay. But lately it seems it is more expensive than at local stores. So I have quit.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 AM

on Ebay it depends on who you buy it from. If the person is a reputable seller (positive feedback of about 100 percent) I have purchased many yards of fabric from several people on there and intend to buy from the same people again.

I agree wth Polyparrot's post on here
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 AM

I won't buy on Ebay unless they state the maker of the fabric. I also measure the fabric when I get it as some times the person shorts a few inches or the fabric cut crooked. I send them an email and send it back to them at there cost for shipping.