Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Buying Fabric on eBay

scb
    I have bought fabric on EBay and have never been disappointed. I have purchased for new to EBay to the old reliable and have always been happy. I have never had a bad experience. I'm cautious, check their rating, & read their feedback.

The same goes for other auction sites. I've sold on Ebay, purchased on Ebay and other auction sites. If you have a question, ask the seller first. Of course, check the feedback. Occasionally you might get a "lemon", like a box that is full roaches and nasties, but not often. The sellers on the sites are trying to either destash or have a business of their own. Best friends are from my buyers and sellers on Ebay and other auction sites. It works for me!

I buy from EBay all the time. I love my sellers. If I ever have a problem --they will correct it asap.
    My experience has been nothing but great with them.

I've only had good experiences with ebay purchases.

Blog Entries
    I have bought material for years also crafts of all kinds I have always had good dealings with ebay or they will kick them off the board. Just make sure they have good ratings.

Haven't purchased any in quite some time. Always had a good experience except one. The fabric reeked of smoke and it had hems in it ... hardly new and unused. But I washed it and still have some. I like it but didn't like the stink when I opened the pkg.

There used to be a seller that only sold fabric on the bolt at great prices and I'd buy lots from him. He'd have 90+ bolts for sale. Then one day poof, he wasn't listing anymore. He had wonderful name brand stuff.

Just never send cash or Money Orders or even checks. I had a friend who bought about $70 of kids stuff and it was never sent to her and cuz she didn't use paypal or credit card she had no recourse.

I've only bought fabric on ebay twice, and both times it was a good buy.

Once I ran out of fabric and the store where I bought it had sold all they had. I took a chance on a purchase and was able to get enough to finish the top and now have some of that red in my stash.

The other time I saw some jelly rolls about to end and the bid was very low. I put in a low bid and got a great deal on some multi-color jelly rolls to make into a Log Cabin (someday).

Darren

I have bought several pieces from stores and from private sellers and have been happy with all that I got.

I have bought and sold on eBay for nearly 10 years, I have only had one instance of anything happening to me, and it was recently, I bought something, paid on PayPay and it never arrived. No messages from the seller...Ebay refunded my money without any problems. So, now that they have that guarantee, I wouldn't be afraid to buy

I am almost 100% happy with ebay fabric--the only 2 problems I ever had was with 2 sellers who didn't know woven polyester from cotton. Need I say more?

Most of those seller don't know a thing about fabrilc, or quilting.
    They aren't there to rip you off, just to make a few bucks for themselves.
    I'm always looking for the sellers that don't know what they have. That way they sell it more cheaply. A seller who knows what fabric is worth charges a lot more! :)

The only problem I have had buying fabric on ebay is when I buy bundles that may not be what is pictured. I did this once and got 25 fqs of thin trashy fabrics that none of which matched the photo. Now I check the fine print and make sure I am only buying what is pictured and that it is 100% cotton. So just be careful of bundles and that they are the fabrics that are pictured and you should be fine.

QM
    This is a helpful topic.

My sil buys on ebay Only one time she had a problem and the lady sent her the wrong stuff. She finally got it resolved but it took a while

I buy on ebay all the time and have only had 1 bad experience. Won't buy from anyone unless they have 95% or above in a rating. I have gotten some great buys and some fabrics that are no longer in print. Don't go by just one persons opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    If you buy a known, quality manufacturer of fabric via ebay there shouldn't be issues. The problem is buying unknown quality or "lots" of fabric that are see through, poor quality etc. You can't feel it and have to go by photos which can be misleading.
    I had the above experience 1 time but other then that I am very happy with what I have purchased so far on e-bay

I buy ALOT of fabric on e-bay. What I look for is how much a seller sells (the numer by their name with stares by it) and what their feedback score is. I have never had bad fabric or a bad experience. The are alot of good sellers on ebay...Pm me if you want my list.

I've purchased lots of fabric. Only once I was not thrilled. They had said pieces. It had scraps and some not cotton. But there were some nice pieces. This was from an individual that didn't have a lot of sales to get a good rating. But one in fifty plus buys isn't bad. Check the sellers ratings. If they have several items and you bid on more than one, ask if they could combine the shipping.

I've bought a lot of fabric lately on ebay and Etsy and I've really been pleased with both the fabric and the service, speedy shipping as well.

Waiting for an order now --only problem out of a doz . I wanted 2 yrds rather than 1 yd the way it was priced from this fabric co in Seattle. Had hit "confirm" too soon.
    Minutes later I saw fabric same co. with sewing machines on it so ordered a yd of it --both confirmed. I did include in the comments that I originally wanted a 2 yd piece. Then wrote an email to the service dept. I received a reply --apparently they still didn't understand what I wanted so I am getting 2 ---1 yd pieces of 2 different prints which i can make work. I would have ordered the second print anyway but I know the manufacturer to know it should be good quality fabric. I don't order if i am looking for a close color match. Was going to buy from Nancy's Notions but they were sold out in new catalogue.

Always, always read the whole description.
    i got shammed and it was because I did not read the whole description I just assumed when I found the fabric online and the page directed me to the ebay seller the fabric was going to be sold by the yard.
    Lesson learned.

Blog Entries
    Make sure the postage is quoted. I just bought something that wasn't and the seller tacked on over $10 for a $7 item... HELLO? The item could have been shipped in a $4.95 envelope as it was flat 6x6 pieces. Shame on me for not checking it out ahead of time. However, most things I see, the postage is listed. I've also been charged shipping for 2 items separately from the same seller, they package it together and pocket the diffenence instead of passing it back to me... shame, shame!

My experiences on Ebay have always been good! I even bought a vintage sewing machine on Ebay, and had great results!

The only problem I had was when I bought a fabric panel. It had a flaw on it and when I emailed the seller about it, she said it wasn't there when she mailed it to me, so I must have done it. She also made a remark about people who shop Walmart fabrics. I see that now she isn't selling on ebay anymore, unless she changed her name.
    Otherwise, I have not had any other problems. Just check their ratings and I always check their postage. Sometimes I think they try to make up on shipping for the great deal they offer on the fabric.

I have purchased fabric on Ebay many times and have never had a problem. Its nice to be able to find a particular fabric that I want. Just be careful and read carefully, also watch the postage and you should do fine..

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast