Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Fabric on eBay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogmom
    I've bought fabric and quilt blocks/tops. Smoke free is important to me, but fabric can be washed. I've never had a problem and gotten some good buys. Check the sellers feedback too and make sure it is good. See what other buyers have to say. Good Luck, I am a real ebay lover, gets me into trouble sometimes, haha
    I agree with this completely! An I DO get in trouble sometimes....too many bids, too much $$ spent!! Oh well...what is money good for if not to spend? LOL

I'm the one you're looking for...
    I have never had any luck buying fabric on eBay. In fact, I won't even look there any more so I won't be tempted.
    I received one package stating it came from a smoke free home and I nearly passed out when I opened the box. Believe it or not, washing it didn't even help. I ended up donating it to a thrift shop. Other purchases didn't work out well either. I've received some really "cheap" looking and feeling fabrics.
    I guess it's just my luck.

I've always had good experiences buying on Ebay, but I do my homework and pay attention to price, shipping costs, name brand, color, seller's rating etc. And if I have a question about the fabric, I ask the seller a question before I purchase, and most sellers have answered right away. Usually I use "buy it now" and don't get involved in the auctions unless I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else.

Blog Entries
    MariLynn said on pg 3 of this post: Okay, everyone. I'm looking for four or five yards of dark chocolate brown toile with cream print or village print. I've checked with local quilt shops and it is a fabric that was out a few years ago and no one has any now. I am going to make an Ink Well quilt with browns and cream or beiges. I need suggestions on where I can purchase this fabric. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Reply:
    This site has several wide backing fabrics that might catch your fancy. It was mentioned in an earlier post here.
    http://stores.ebay.com/QUILT-UNIQUE-...D-GIFTS?_rdc=1
    I also saw perhaps the exact fabric you're describing; just have to remember/find the site! It was also a wide fabric, and an eBay store. (Sorry, I chose reply instead of quote reply, so had to improvise.)

I've bought a lot of fabric on ebay and had it sent to my mom. Usually I am super pleased as the fabric usually looks better in person than on the computer.

But I have been basically stash building and buying themed fabrics. I don't remember ever being disappointed. If you buy "lots" you can get very good prices. This is great for the person who just wants to have a variety of colors and fabrics. If you are super picky, then you should go to ebay knowing already what you want and just search. They have just about everything eventually!

But if you don't shop there, that will keep the prices cheaper for those of us that do! ;)

Blog Entries
    I haven't had bad experiences on eBay, but it's been several years since I've bought fabric there. the last time I got into a bidding war on some out of print Laurel Burch fabrics, and won after spending a ridiculous amount on them.

And then the fabrics were re-released 2 years later. :(

Purchased fabric on E-Bay, with no problem at all.

Alot of times you can fine it on ebay where you can't find it any where else?

Blog Entries
    I've been really pleased with my fabric purchases on ebay. I even got a set of small african batik squares for 1 cent! (plus shipping, of course, but that was only $2.)

The thing that has amazed me is how quickly the sellers get stuff to you once you buy. I've had only positive experiences so far.

I bought from Emerald City Fabric and Craft. I bought 2 charm packs of RJR fabric for about $11. They were fast with shipping and I thought that was a good deal.

I never had any problems, but my brother bought me some and never received it

I bought several fat quarters on E-Bay. I will never do it again. Very poor quality, thus unusable. You could see through half of them and the other half were as stiff as cardboard.

I have purchased many yds from various sellers on Ebay & have been pleased with all of them. Good prices & fair shipping most of the time.
    Alpha

My favorite to purchase is 30's and civil war fabric's.

I have purchased fabric numerous times on ebay and so far all of my experiences have been very positive (I am knocking on wood as I write this). The fabric has been good quality and exactly as the seller listed it. I always check before I purchase their selling rating and if they have any negative feedback against them. I think that is important. I also don't hesitate to contact the seller if I have any type of question before I buy.
    Good luck to you.

I have never had any problems with my purchases.

I'll have to see how it works for me. I have bought patterns but not fabric. I haven't got past the not seeing it in person.

I'm so glad you asked this question! I've looked through ebay for fabric so many times, but have hesitated to bid on anything for fear of the quality of it. Thanks for the OP and the answers! I'm gonna go make some bids.

I have bought fabric on EBay many times. Be sure to read the description carefully. Important it come from a smoke and pet free place. If you are not sure you can message the seller to get more info. I have really gotten some great buys, you have to be careful and add in the shipping to what you are bidding on. Hope this helps

I have purchased several pieces of fabric from ebay and am very satisfied with everything I got. The only thing I do is set a price I am willing to pay and do not go over that if I don't get it I just don't get it.

I've bought denim charms squares--and so much cheaper than other places. Seller cut them herself with one of those Accu cutter things. I was pleased--and so glad to let someone else do the cutting of the denim.

I buy and sell on eBay, so I know what to look for (ratings, feedback comments from other buyers, shipping costs--if any, etc.).

My lil Twister template & instructions arrived today--bought on eBay for 9.85 plus 78 postage. It's brand new in original package. My closest LQS wanted $19.95 for this same template. I can't buy the gas to travel the 25 miles and back to my LQS for 78!

Adding this: many sellers of fabric on eBay are quilt store owners getting rid of their leftovers. Look for those who tell you the maker or line of the fabric. For example, Moda--then you know it's quality.

I've bought fabric from eBay many times and except for one occurrence have been very happy (the 'quilt weight' fabric turned out to be barkcloth). Was that maybe her first fabric purchase from eBay? If my one time bad purchase had been my first one I may have gotten discouraged too.

Blog Entries
    I've only ordered fabric on Ebay three times and all three times, it went really well. My son gave me advice on ordering from there. Be sure and check their ratings and if they do have some bad ones, read them and see what problems other people had. If I need a certain fabric that I can get there, I will be sure and order again.

Problems I have ever had was that they did not disclose that they smoke and the fabric STUNK! Or that they cut up clothes and sold them as cotton fabric. To me that is wrong. I do still buy at times on there and just very cautious about what.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast