Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Fabric on eBay

I have never had a problem - always had good service and they were true to their word.

I've bought fabric on E-Bay on four seperate occations. Never had a problem. Knock on wood.

Amen to all the comments here about ebay. I love, love, love ebay! But, that being said - listen to Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does..." what I mean is that you need to be smart about ebay.

Buy only from sellers with stellar feedback. If you have ANY questions about what you are buying, ask before you bid. If a deal sounds too good to be true, maybe it is! Buy fabric lines/brands you already know. etc, etc.

I have bought and loved many fabric/quilting items on ebay - always with good results. Always AFTER doing my homework...

I wanted some OH Statae fabric for a quilt my gr son ask to make.
    Couldn't find it anywhere but did find and buys some remnets on ebay. It was awfully thin but just what I wanted other wise. I put a thin piece of white fabric behind it when I made the quilt.

Altho, I would rather buy where I can see and feel the fabric

I have had no problems shopping on eBay. Just make sure their feedback is positive and that they use pay pal. Also check before hand how much the shipping will be. Great bargains to be had.

I can also say most sellers will refund if it's not as they stated.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased quite a bit of fabric both on ebay and online from other websites with very litttle trouble. The biggest problem I have is being sure what the true color is because color is often distorted o the computer. I often look at the fabric in a store before I buy online if I am needing a certain color that has to be perfect. Ebay is often much cheaper. Also it is a good place to get more of fabric that is no longer in the store.

When I bought fabric on eBay, it was billed as "quilt-quality" fabric, but it was very thin and unsuitable for quilting. When I emailed the lady I bought it from, she would not respond until I gave her a lousy rating then she attacked me saying I was too picky and warned other sellers from selling to me. Well, yes, I am picky about my quilting fabric so I don't buy on eBay.

Even when they manufacturer/designer are familiar, I know that they also make the same-appearing fabric in Wal-Mart that I find in my LQS, but they are not made from the same quality greige goods. Besides, I can find fabulous deals online from mortar quilt stores...probably pay less than I would on eBay!

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I have never had a problem..

I always check feedback on the person or business that I buy from and have never had a problem.
    Sheila

I've bought fabric on ebay several times and only had 2 problems. One piece was not 100% cotton but a ploy/cotton blend. I decided to keep it as it would work on a project I was doing - not quilt related. But I did let the seller know and she was very apologetic. Second time, the fabric was 100% cotton but advertised as quilting cotton. It was a very heavy fabric - almost denim weight - good for a tote bag, etc. Again I told the seller that it wasn't what I expected since it wasn't quilting weight cotton. She didn't quilt and didn't realize it was so heavy. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a new fabric in my mailbox a few days later. I'd definitely shop for fabric on ebay again.

the only problem i ever had was i ordered from UK or China someplace where they didn't except U.S dollars. so it was a 2 month hassel to finally get my stuff. But that was my fault for not paying attention. Just be ware and all should be good. Other than that i've never had a problem. And i do a lot of buying on ebay.

A great deal of my stash is from EBay. I have had nothing but good come from my buying experiences.

I buy and sell on eBay and I have never had a problem either way. I have 100% positive feedback and work hard to keep it that way. The advice here is great, check feedback and read the description carefully. Good Luck Shopping. Kate01

On eBay I am kate-catlady

Power Poster
    I haven't up to this point but i hear that most people have been satisfied.

I buy I would say I buy 95% of my fabric off of ebay , it is rare that I have had a problem. And Even when I was disapointed it wasn'tt that big of deal( I only had trouble bidding on scrap lots and just really nice things or things I wanted shown in pic and what was the majority in the box was not acuratly described} I just used what I really didn't want and PIF ,the recipients were happy with what I couldn't use:)

I have purchased many squares,yards with no problem. Yes,the rating is a must. You can get great prices. Like I explained to my husband, now with the gas prices it's easier because there is no tax and if you use the same seller for multiple purchases they combine shipping. It's a win,win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by eparys
    I have bought a lot of fabric on EBAY and been successful. The real trick is knowing what you want and asking questions. Lots are OK to bid on but my experience with them is that sometimes non quilters includes fabric that may not suit your need for quilting. That being said I always find a use for that fabric that I do not use in my quilts.

Also I have found specific fabric that I was in need of on Ebay that was no longer available in brick and mortar stores. Great source of fabric - but not always cheaper than on sale prices at other stores.

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Some of my favorite sellers: ...

Frank's - very fast and easy to deal with - I've bought a lot of his FQ assortments, recently Jinny Beyer, 30's & CW collections. There are usually a couple of "stinkers" in the assortments, but at $1.00 each and actual shipping charges, you are getting a real bargain:
    http://shop.ebay.com/franks11/m.html..._from=&_ipg=25
    Franks actually has a brick and mortar store not too far from me - he is a hoot, the store is in a dumpy building and his prices are as cheap as can be if he has what you want.
    WOW, his site is awesome. Even some fat quarters are less than a dollar.....gotta save some money up before going back there again!!!!! Definitely will go there! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scakes
    I've bought fabric on ebay several times and only had 2 problems. One piece was not 100% cotton but a ploy/cotton blend. I decided to keep it as it would work on a project I was doing - not quilt related. But I did let the seller know and she was very apologetic. Second time, the fabric was 100% cotton but advertised as quilting cotton. It was a very heavy fabric - almost denim weight - good for a tote bag, etc. Again I told the seller that it wasn't what I expected since it wasn't quilting weight cotton. She didn't quilt and didn't realize it was so heavy. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a new fabric in my mailbox a few days later. I'd definitely shop for fabric on ebay again.

Most of those seller don't know a thing about fabrilc, or quilting.
    They aren't there to rip you off, just to make a few bucks for themselves.

I've had mixed results. Sometimes I'll buy a box lot of fabric and be very surprised (in a good way). Other times I'll be very disappointed. Now that I can recognize fabric patterns (Michael Miller, Alexander Henry, Moda) I go by that instead of just pretty looking fabric pictures.

I've also had problems with the title of the item not accurately matching the description in the auction.

I've bought material and quilt related items on ebay and had no problems with it.

I've purchased a BUNCH of fabric on eBay and never had the first problem. I am so far from a quilt shop, that I buy mostly online. I am now looking for a black with white polka dots. Need probably 3 yards. I've found several on eBay, just need more time to look.

I have had a few good on ebay for fabric, but a year ago November, I got taken. Purchased some fabric from Oregon, 3 Sisters I believe it was and I never got my fabric and they would not respond to my emails. That was for about $30. and I sent a money order. I didn't have paypal and so that is what I did. I had no recourse since I did not use pay pal.

No problems here!!

Blog Entries
    I have bought fabric and embroidery hoops on Ebay and I have not had any problems. The orders usually arrive in 2-3 days. Just shop around for different vendors because they all have different shipping charges. These charges can be very costly.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast