Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Fabric on eBay

I have bought fabric from a couple of different ebay stores and had very good luck. One was debsews and the other is winnipesaukaequiltshop. Both have thousands of sales and very high feedback, I think the feedback for both of them is 100%

Blog Entries
    I also buy a lot of fabric and pre-cuts from Ebay. So far I have been lucky/carefull and not had a problem. My favorite seller is Emerald City for charm packs.

Never had any problems with Ebay.

i did get ripped off for $60--order never shipped at all--seller sent a phony tracking number. Positive feedback was 90%, with not a lot of transactions.....eBay did NOT resolve anything--I just lost the money.
    The other problem was getting DENIM instead of quilting cotton--ad said 100% cotton--which is was, but had ASKED if it was quilting weight or denim--answer came back 100% cotton. Pay attention to evasive answers and DO NOT BUY THERE!
    I am waiting for the arrival of my 3 NEW (OLD) sewing machines that a friend picked up for me in Ill.....my daughter is meeting her next week, then I have to wait till I can drive over to meet DD for the pickup---getting excited though--one a 42 Singer in the round top case, another the 72 Kenmore 158. Friend says they all work great---paid $100 for all 3!

Blog Entries
    I have bought on e bay several times and have had only one bad experience. Last year I bought a panel of the Nativity scene and it is not square and there is no way to make it square. That is the only time I was not satisfied. Sometimes I pay a little more for fabric squares than if I cut them myself but it is worth it to someone who has bad hands.

If buying on ebay ask lots of question ! First you want to know that the fabric is frome a smoke free home and envirment. Then ask about the weight , you can end up with cheap made in mexico very loosely woven or if it is old it can have dry rot. I have recently bought some new fabrics on line and have noticed that Moda fabrics are very thin you can see through them. I wish they made the fabrics like polished apple. Does any one remember the beautiful florals with pastel backgrounds! Boy do I wish I had that stuff in my stash. When I see the fabrics today I could cry. I thank god I have the stash that I have now, and do not regret what I bought. This was not always the case. Have a great day always make time to create even if it is for one hour at bed time. The creative soul must be constant.

If buying on ebay ask lots of question ! First you want to know that the fabric is from a smoke free home and envirment. Then ask about the weight , you can end up with cheap made in mexico very loosely woven or if it is old it can have dry rot. I have recently bought some new fabrics on line and have noticed that Moda fabrics are very thin you can see through them. I wish they made the fabrics like polished apple. Does any one remember the beautiful florals with pastel backgrounds! Boy do I wish I had that stuff in my stash. When I see the fabrics today I could cry. I thank god I have the stash that I have now, and do not regret what I bought. This was not always the case. Have a great day always make time to create even if it is for one hour at bed time. The creative soul must be constant.

I have purchased jelly rolls on Ebay and several times, yardage. I have always been happy. The nice thing about Ebay is when you pay with PayPal, you have recourse to get your money back should the purchase turn out poorly. I have also purchased velcro in many colors, grossgrain ribbon, and recently a Singer 301A that looks like it just came off the factory belt! Usually when I am buying fabric I am looking for something very specific, like once I needed some weenie dog fabric which I found, and another I wanted some fabric called hogs on hog; pigs on motorcycles...I found that in two colors! Sometimes it is not a bargain, sometimes it is.
    Michelle G
    El Paso

Blog Entries
    I am in the USA and just won a bid on Ebay for a Singer Red Eye machine. I am thrilled out of my mind! It is in excellent condition and is coming from Calgary, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    I've bought plenty of fabric on ebay and never had a problem. I make sure the buyer has an excellent feedback rating before I buy. I usually have to email the seller prior to buying to get shipping information because I'm in Canada so I also get an idea of how well they communicate.

There's so much there it would be a shame to avoid it because of someone's bad experience. And we've only heard one side of the story.

I have bought fab from ebay. It was a discontinued quilt print that I needed to complete a baby quilt. Price was ok. , prompt del., shipping chg ran cost up, fabric was just what I needed.

Blog Entries
    Twistedstitcher, your Avatar is absolutely adorable!

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Like others, I have bought fabric a number of times from ebay. That is where I have found some fabrics that I couldn't find locally. And like others, I always check the sellers rating first and then ask questions I might have about the fabric or purchase before actually bidding. I would say 99.9% of my purchases have been fine.

I love buying fabric on E-bay. Never had a bad experience! I especiall love the all ready cut squares, I like to sew, not cut!

I have ordered over the internet and had excellent results, but have always ordered name brand fabric or from stores that carry quality fabrics. Some purchases have been from e-bay.

I have never had a problem with any fabric I bought from e-bay. Been very happy.

In the past I have bought 4, 5, and 6 inch squares in packages of 25 or more for a very reasonable price and been very happy with them.

Blog Entries
    I've bought fabric on e-bay. It was fine. I always check the sellers rating before I do anything though.

kso
    I have bought several items and no problem until this last order. The red and black plaid that I purchased turned out to be red and green when it arrived.

Again, the seller had less than 100% rating. They were also late in mailing and never responded to any of my emails. Luckily the total for the purchase for less thatn $10.00.

My big gripe abt anything ebay is the sellers who charged higher than actual shipping costs or charge handling charges on top of shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    Twistedstitcher, your Avatar is absolutely adorable!
    Thank you! That's Casey, our 10 year old Shih Tzu/Lhasa Apso cross. He's a sweetie.

I am doing a quilt for my 4 y.o. granddaughter. The focus is selected Disney princess. One of the princess was to be Jasmine. I needed fabric with the princess repeated so I could make 5in sqs. The only place I found anything was ebay but when it came (from Asia) it was a panel and Jasmine was very tall and I could not use. For some reason, I thought Jasmine would be repeated several times. I am surprised Disney has no fabric with all the princess on it.

Blog Entries
    I like to buy vintage kid prints and have gotten some on e-bay. I recommend this: make sure the size is what you are looking for. I bid on some and thought it was fat quarters, when I got it discovered it was 8x10 size. Very disappointing, but my fault. ASK QUESTIONS about shipping charges, if you can save on shipping if you win another bid from this seller, size of fabric you are bidding on and if it is washed or not. Smoke free and pet free is important.
    I have a long hair white dog, but that is me getting the hair on the fabric not another dog's. haha

I do buy both lots and packs of brand name fat quarters. Overal it has been good especially the brand name FQ. Besure to check shipping and if FQ or cut by the manufacture or shop. As for lots from individuals there is often something funky. The biggest problem being people selling fabric as quilt shop or 100% cotton and its not but I have had the same issue with buying off this board. I am reevaluating buying from individuals but because of economy it appears to be my better option. It could also be some people think Walmart, Joanns and such places are considered local quilt shop and polly cotton is ok or they were not aware it was not cotton. I like to think the best of people.

I have never had any trouble with buying fabric on ebay. But lately it seems it is more expensive than at local stores. So I have quit.

on Ebay it depends on who you buy it from. If the person is a reputable seller (positive feedback of about 100 percent) I have purchased many yards of fabric from several people on there and intend to buy from the same people again.

I agree wth Polyparrot's post on here

I won't buy on Ebay unless they state the maker of the fabric. I also measure the fabric when I get it as some times the person shorts a few inches or the fabric cut crooked. I send them an email and send it back to them at there cost for shipping.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast