Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh!  What Did I Do? >

Oh! What Did I Do?

Oh! What Did I Do?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM

Just go for it - you won't be sorry. I have never had a quilt in a show, and am hoping to do that this year (just local QS). I am really thinking that there wouldn't be any harsh jusdgments, just suggestions on how you can maybe improve.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 AM

If your friend thought it was good enough to enter your work, go ahead, she had faith so what have you got to lose, let us know how you got on, here's wishing you all the best. x
Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 AM

I love looking at the quilts, I admire them all. Some I like better than others, but heck that is my taste. I am always amazed at the ones the judges give the blue ribbons too, they are usually not my favorites. I guess they are looking at something I am not. So, that said, even though I won't be at that show, enter it - for people like me who want to admire it and maybe be inspired by it. I appreciate all they have done with my "expert" eye, lol.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

One thing to be judged quite another to be loved!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
If you love your quilt no negative comment should influence you! That being said I have a quilt traveling in the Quilt Inc shows In Full Bloom Exhibit! It is a Juried Exhibit!It was really hard to send that quilt off for a year. I love it and could not imagine it being lost or damaged. But I did it. I was so proud to stand by my quilt in Houston. Be proud to stand next to your quilt. Answer questions and be a Queen for a day. If someone does not like it, Let them eat cake! Enjoy the process. I have 3 more quilts going into my guild show and yes they will be judged. Luann
Great advice! Plus, no matter what, judging is still a subjective thing, not objective...it is someone's opinion...
K
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hcim55 View Post
Awwwww......my vote ......if there is a chance you will feel bad pull the quilt from the show. Some people love to show quilts...I am not one of them, because of same reasons you are apprehensive. If you do enter let it roll off your back you did not make the quilt to compete. I can tell one thing....many people will enjoy looking at it!
i have to agree, with her, and add a little more, the main person u need to care about is you and if you get negative comments about it, just let it roll off like she said are tell yourlef they do not know a beautiful quilt when they see one, the work and time you put in it , is priceless and u made it for a reason and that was not to compete, i am a hand appliquer my slef but am new at machine appliquing, and doing much better at it, but still do most quiltign by hand, so stick to your guns and keep your head held up high and know I DID a WONDERFUL JOB no matter what anyone says , and who knows u just might win the blue , are purple ribbon, u just never know, blesings Hope
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM

If a judge gives a "negative" comment, it isn't because he/she does not like your quilt. Judges just have specific things they have to look for. If a quilt doesn't meet that specific criteria, that does not decrease the beauty or value of the quilt. And remember, there will be tons of people at the show who will ooooh and aaaah over your quilt. I have been to many shows in which my favorites didn't win any ribbons, but I loved looking at them anyway.

I entered three quilts in our local guild show last year. None of them had been made with the intent to show them, but I actually WANTED the judges comments so I could see where I could improve. I am entering one quilt this year that I made with the intent to enter it. It may still not win, but that's okay because I will get more judges comments. Also, it really is exciting to see YOUR very own quilt hanging in the show. Oh, and of the three I entered last year...I received a community appreciation award on one, so I know someone liked it even if it wasn't perfect!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
Great advice! Plus, no matter what, judging is still a subjective thing, not objective...it is someone's opinion...
K
agreed, in all, great kiffle hope u win soem ribbons but even if u do not , im sure they are beautiful,
Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM

I have only entered quilts in non judged shows. I think it is fun to lurk around my entry and listen to comments! If I hear any criticism, I think about it, and try to see if it would benefit me/my quilt. If not, I shrug it off.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like you are proud of your quilt. Why not share it? Will any comments about your quilt make you like it any less and will you lose any sense of accomplishment if someone critiques your work? Chin up, my dear and stand by your quilt!