Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim Quilt? >

Denim Quilt?

Denim Quilt?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 AM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

My friend recycles old jeans from friends and family. Has for years. Recently she changed her pattern from blocks to 8-10 inch wide strips some as long as 24 inches. It lays so much nicer, not quite as heavy, and as in some other posts, varies the colors of the denim. The only glitch recently was she has noticed the Spandex added to some jeans can cause some mis-shaping of some of the seams, and she try's to limit how much she uses if that Jean fabric! They are coveted gifts. I love mine backed in flannel, so warm on a cold night. Have fun. PS just noticed an earlier post, about the stretch denim. It really causes some distortion
Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 AM

I made a QAYG brick pattern rag quilt. I used flannel and homespun plaid fabric for the rag side denim for the back and used batting. If I were to do it again I would leave out the batting. I quilted an x on each block before assembling.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 AM

http://indulgy.com/post/iL7r26YQE1/a...ean-quilt-idea Here is a link to a denim quilt I made. I liked it especially because there are no bulky seams. You simply sew each denim piece to a 1" black fabric (not denim) and it lays flat without the bulk of seams.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
Thank you for submitting this website. Lots of wonderful quilt ideas spring forth when I view it. Think I have just found a good project to work on for my GD.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by pandamommy View Post
A couple of things to keep in mind on denim quilts. 1. try to stay away from the knee area of the jean. This area is stretched. 2. I try not to use any denim from my stretch jeans cause of the stretch. A number of years ago I attended a class at LQS and we made a denim log cabin. One half was denim and the other side of cabin was cotton strips. It was a QAYG on flannel with ragged edges. I misplaces on of my colors so it was never finished, but not long ago I found the color I needed so now it is sitting in my to do pile.
I made one like this too. Love it. Mine doesn't have the ragged edges though.

Last edited by sue z q; 04-18-2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: add info
Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 AM

I've made a ragged denim and flannel quilt that fits a full/queen size bed. It doesn't have any batting and is still VERY heavy. The hardest part of making a ragged quilt is clipping the exposed seams, then it needs to go to a commercial laundry to wash and let the seams fray. However, it is quite durable and should hold up forever. The kids have fun trying to find pockets, zippers and labels that are scattered throughout it.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Keep the patterns simple. Squares are great. Use misc. parts of old jeans, include a pocket or such here and there!
I use only the 100% cotton ones- no stretch, etc. Back it in flannel too. I use a warm & natural for batting, so I don't feel the seams so much. Then it is tied. They are heavy, but oh so durable!!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Added this to my favorites. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 AM
amh

I have made several denim quilts. They are great for in the car so they are available for those cold baseball, soccer, etc. games of the kids. They cut the wind well, and it's amazing how often there is me and a bunch of very small children who came to watch a sibling play huddled under the denim quilt. Fun times.

Be sure to use 1/2 inch seams. Denim seems to ravel lots.
You really do not need batting at all -- just denim and a flannel on the other side sewn together into blocks and clipped (rag quilts) work fine.
If you do use batting you will not be able to quilt (too bulky). Just tie the quilt.
If you are making for a kid, or for parents for those games. be sure to make a block with the zipper in it. That "secret" pocket is loved by the kids, and is a great place for mom's to tuck whatever they need away for safe keeping.

I've now made quilts for most of the kids I know, and have started making hot pads with the denim. Works great.

amh
Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 AM

I think the rag quilts work well in denim. Also, I don't think you need batting (I've been saving my denim clothing but it will be a while down the road before I get to them. Keep us posted on your experience and please show pictures.