Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of starch do you use? >

What kind of starch do you use?

What kind of starch do you use?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM

Default What kind of starch do you use?

I'm a brand new quilter. I read the QB every day and I'm learning so much from all of you who are willing to share from your experience. I've been reading over and over about starching. Do you use spray starch or liquid and what brand(s) do you recommend? Also, am I understanding correctly that it's a good idea to starch all fabric before cutting it as well as starch the backing before basting?
Thanks so much!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Best press is what I use
Old 05-05-2013, 05:53 PM

I mix my own starch when ironing fabric. When turning the edges for applique I use the gold top Niagara Spray - spray it into a little bowl and paint it in the seam line.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:03 PM

I dilute Faultless Concentrate per directions on bottle and pour into a spray bottle.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

To heavily starch yardage, I mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution onto the fabric using a large wall painting brush until the fabric is saturated, wait a couple of minutes to make sure the starch penetrates the fibers, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. This is what I do for quilt backings and flannel (that I plan to piece), as it creates a very stiff and stable fabric.

I do not prewash fabrics for my quilt tops and find there is enough starch/sizing in them to make for accurate cuts. I use spray starch as I create blocks and strip sets, to add stability as I go.

Sizing does not stabilize as much as starch, so starch remains my favorite.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

Best Press is the best IMHO!

Starch can cause scorching when you are pressing ... and I have yet to see that happen with BP.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

I have had spray starch scorch because (1) I did not give it enough time to penetrate fibers, so it was sitting on top of the fabric and/or (2) I used too hot of an iron on it. Usually I did both. In all cases, the scorched starch washed out of the fabric. My dryer method for yardage has never resulted in a scorch, even when using the hottest setting on my iron. With spray starch I have learned to give it a couple of minutes to be absorbed and I also dial down my iron temp a notch.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM

I love BP but it's a bit expensive for large pieces such as backin' in those cases I use Stay Flow starch & mix it very strong. I then put it in an empty Niagra starch bottle. That way I really know it is starch.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 PM

I starch , and use the Stay Flo concentrate , that way I can mix my own , and its much cheaper. I found use the cans of spray starch just got too costly. The only place I have found that carries the Stay Flo ( blue plastic jug) is Walmart.
Do let the starch soak , and or dry into the fabrics for the best results. Issues with flaking or sometimes even scorching come from trying to iron too soon after applying.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 PM

I use the Stay Flo concentrate also - love Best Press but I use a lot and it gets just a little pricey. I bought a spray/pump bottle of the Niagara and then just keep refilling it. I found that the aerosal cans get clogged way too easily and quickly.