Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilty New Year's Resolution >
  • Quilty New Year's Resolution

• Quilty New Year's Resolution

Old 12-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Nothing that ambitious, but I plan to improve on some of my skills, and add some new ones. As I am moving this year, I hope to teach in my new home. That's a big start for me
    Old 12-23-2015, 01:36 PM
    Power Poster

I have nothing that ambitious for a New Year's resolution. I seldom make them, because I always break them. However, since I am making good progress recovering from several falls and subsequent Rehab. I am finally able to quilt again, so I plan on catching up with all my projects on my Roundtoit List. Wish me luck, as it's very long.
    Old 12-23-2015, 01:51 PM

I am going to use my stash as well - (purchased yards and yards and yards when a local quilt store closed) - and make the quilts from the patterns I have pulled out of magazines and such. So far - I have cut one completely out - getting a little head start! Hunter's Star, Deb Tucker's Atlantic Flyaway, Southwind Designs Mexican Star, A Storm at Sea, and finish two intricate paper-piecing wall hangings.
    Old 12-23-2015, 02:33 PM

my thoughts are to stick to the 3 B rule when buying this new Year. binding, backing, batting!! trouble is there are so many wonderful fabrics and online sales that I always go back on my resolves. I probably have enough UFOs' to last several years and a stash that has taken over my space. We will see----- Merry Christmas to all and a safe Happy New Year.
    Old 12-23-2015, 03:01 PM

That is a very ambitious project. WOW! Mine isn't quite that ambitious. I plan on making 2 QOV, 2 donation quilts for the local pregnancy center and a few baby quilts for them. I also make doll quilts for the Salvation Army, I will probably make 10 of those.
    For the last 2 years I have been trying to mostly sew from my stash. I plan on doing that again. I have most of my UFO's finished but plan to continue on those. My goal this year is to try to do a couple of project I really want to do and keep pushing aside.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone. Or Happy Holidays if you don't celebrate Christmas.
    Old 12-23-2015, 03:17 PM

Wow, that's an ambitious goal, I wish you the very best. One of my quilting bee ladies sews like you do, she does a lot of quilts a year. My first quilty resolution is to write down all my UFO's. I did it a few years ago and was amazed at how many I got accomplished. Whenever I felt like doing something different I looked over the list. Most, not all, got completed. Another quilty resolution that has been forming in my head a while (not fully developed yet) is to take the many wall hangings and table toppers and add to them to make a lap size quilt. It would involve piecing batting and working the small quilt as a panel in the design. But really, I never use them. I want them to be usable. Third along the same lines, don't make anymore wall hangings, table toppers or square quilts.
    Old 12-23-2015, 04:53 PM

My goals:

3 quilts for Project Linus for boys (most needed, the coordinator said, since so many people quilt for girls and babies)
    1 for my sister ( log cabin throw, because my sister was recently divorced but bought a log cabin down South)
    6 for Operation Christmas Child (doll quilts, doubling what I sent this year)

As for the nursing home quilts, I've been told they have a tendency to "walk". As for pet bedding, I called our local human society. They said they take everything but bedding because they don't have the washer/dryer capacity at this time .

Last edited by zozee; 12-23-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: better wording
    Old 12-23-2015, 05:18 PM
    Power Poster

I want to finish two lap quilts I started, and complete a queen size quilt I have begun. I also want to work a lot on my paper piecing skills. Would like to get a few bed size quilts completed, but hopefully they will at least be a couple in the works after I get the queen size quilt finished.
    Old 12-23-2015, 06:44 PM

As for donations to senior, etc - one of my guilds did that several years ago. We made a quilt for each person on a wing. We delivered each quilt personally and wrote their name on the label on the back. We learned later that many, if not most of them just disappeared. I heard - although I do not know for sure - that some staff members took them home. We decided as a guild that we would not donate to this place again. One of our best places is to a battered women's shelter for their children, not adults. They lovingly accepted the, for several years and then a year or so ago they requested we make bed sized quilts - we do not do that. Another very special,place that seemed to get a bit on the greedy side (my thoughts only).

My my other quilt guild makes Cuddle Buddy Bags for the local police and sheriff officers to carry in their car. We just donated more than 100 to them at our Christmas party and they are so ever grateful. These are small tote bags that include a small stuffed animal and an animal-sized quilt. They are given only to children in a stressful situation. The officers come to our luncheon (boy do they like that!!!) where we present them with the bags. The stories they tell us make us cry - and they are so grateful and pass along to other cities what we do and how much they appreciate it. This might be something you all might be interested in doing instead of giving quilts - the totes are easy to make and the small quilts - 12" or a bit larger are easy and quick.

Thanks for for letting me run on - tomorrow is baking day. Need to make PA Dutch Sugar Cakea for my son plus a couple pumpkin pies. I only cook at Thanksgiving and Christmas😄😄😜

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

a very Merry Christmas to everyone!!
    Old 12-23-2015, 06:51 PM

That is more than a quilt a week girl!!