Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What will your New Year's Resolution be this year?

What will your New Year's Resolution be this year?

I know we are all focused on preparing for the Christmas holidays but I've been trying to come up with a resolution for 2012 that isn't one of the "old standards" (like weight loss and dieting) that usually are forgotten by the end of January. I've pretty much decided that my resolution will be to have a more positive attitude about the future. In today's world with the economic situation, upcoming elections, and military conflicts, it's really hard to be optimistic about things, especially as the aging process brings new challenges to deal with. Even if things don't improve all that much in 2012, having a more positive outlook couldn't hurt and might even rub off on others around me.

What are some things you are considering for the new year?
    Miss Rita

My New Years resolution will be just to make it through 2012 in one piece. My 2011 was hell and I'm lucky to still be alive and still have my mind. So I'm looking forward to a peaceful, healthy 2012 for myself, my children and my grandchildren.

I too am planning to do the more 'positive' New Year's resolutions, rather than the 'don't do X' (not that the 'don't' don't apply to me!).

After a year that my own doctor described as 'traumatic' I am all about the looking forward to the future with anticipation, since the source of my stress has now gone.

So I want to:
    See my friends on a more regular basis
    Read one biography on each of the U.S. Presidents, well-known and not so well-known, over the next year
    Learn to do this 'zumba' thing that everyone is on about

World peace and a more positive world outlook would be good too, but I can only contribute to that by trying to be kind to those around me. So I'll do that too.

Quilting is my vice

Live well, laugh often, love much

Be more positive, I'm posting a message on my bathroom mirror for 2012!!!!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    keep buying fabric LOL

learn to let it go.....and....count my blessings every day..

Learn something new.

Try something I have never done before.

Take risks.

Expand myself.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

This List is a work in progress
    NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION 2012
    1.Try to really forgive not just say I do forgive. This one is hard for me, as I'm like an elephant and don't forget much.
    2.Starting Jan.9,2012 (earlier if I get all my Christmas Quilts done and cleaned up from Christmas) My sewing-craft room will be sorted out as if I were moving cross country, if not needed priced and ready for yard sale,(that includes my 3,000+ ceramic molds and klins) I want upper kitchen cabnets on one wall.
    3.When making a quilt use at least 3/4 of the fabric needed from my stash. Or don't make the quilt.
    4.Will also Not buy fabric unless it is required for a quilt I am making at the moment, and only buy what I need, no extra just cause I really like it.
    5.No more buying patterns, untill I use the ones I have set aside with required fabric in my stash.
    6.I will quilt my tops as I finish them. no more stock piling them to do latter. (Only exception, If I run out of batting and can't find a good sale.
    My goal is to use down my stash untill it all fits in my china cabnet, or on the shelves I have. I really want to get rid of all these plastic totes I have, They are always in the way, I am constantly having to move them, I have 2 chest of drawers full too. I'm really not sure what I have in the totes or the drawers anymore

To keep working on getting the ufo's done. Made some progress in 2011 and want to keep going until they are all caught up. May take till 2013. lol.
    katigirl

Blog Entries
    I never made "Resolutions" I've always started out a new year as a clean chalk board with lots of pretty chalk.I'm not perfect nor do I strive to be.-- Each day is a Holiday for me and If I was to start making resolutions it would be to Keep Smiling

I try only to set goals that are achievable. That said, l must admit I have achieved my set resolutions for the past two years. They are: 1) keep using up stash--do not buy new fabric unless it is absolutely needed for a specific project. Last year, I had made a gift for a dear friend's wedding and all that was new fabric. Other than that, I can't remember buying more than 10 or 15 yards. 2) complete at least one UFO. I did that. All the extra fabrics were pulled from the stash. 3) donate 16,000 square inches of quilts. I have donated 19,000 sq. inches this year. Next year, I'll increase the goal, say to 20,000. This way, I make larger quilts and smaller quilts. the larger get donated one place, the smaller I give to the local Linus chapter. I also have gardening resolutions. For the past two years, I've planted enough garlic that I haven't had to purchase any. This year coming, that continues...

Laurie

Trying not to buy anymore fabrics and use what I have. I failed miserably on that one this year.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I can smugly say that I keep my new year's resolutions without fail! They are always the same: "I will not start smoking", "I will not gamble on poker machines", "I will not eat offal", "I will not try skydiving".

There, how easy is that! (I firmly believe in achievable goals, so there is no point even thinking about limiting my fabric purchases.

Learn to be happy no matter what
    Get rid of the ufos - either finish or give away
    Tell my husband I love him everyday

Okay everyone -- there's not much time left before the new year. What have you resolved to do/not do for 2012??
    Miss Rita

Some of mine are to do the block of the month, every month, at my guild...and to love those I already love...more...and try to love those who deserve it least...
    Michelle Guadarrama

Blog Entries
    My sewing/quilting resolution is to use up as much of my stash that I can in 2012. That is the same as 2011 and I have used a LOT. I will only be allowed to buy backing, batting, background, border and something for a gift IF I do not have the needed fabrics. Example: I do not have a lot of fabrics that would make good baby boy quilts so fabric for a gift baby boy quilt is allowed. If I need something to finish a UFO or complete a project that I have almost all the needed fabrics I may buy only the needed amount(s).
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

Blog Entries
    Oh- great thread!!! My resolution is one I have already made- to strive for a more meaningful life by acting according to my values, and to live 'in the moment' more, which means really experiencing life, with it's highs and lows. That might surprise people who resolve to be more positive but I have found that sometimes you just have to accept the negative- somehow when you make space for it, it is easier to move on. In the past I have exerted far too much effort into trying to be positive about things that I really needed to be trying to simply accept, or even trying to change.

Blog Entries
    Gsps those are 'dead man's goals'!!!!!A wise person once told me there is no point aiming to do something that a dead man could do better (no one in the cemetery will be smoking, gambling or skydiving next year)

Quote Originally Posted by gspsplease View Post
    I can smugly say that I keep my new year's resolutions without fail! They are always the same: "I will not start smoking", "I will not gamble on poker machines", "I will not eat offal", "I will not try skydiving".

There, how easy is that! (I firmly believe in achievable goals, so there is no point even thinking about limiting my fabric purchases.

I'm retiring 3/31/12, but who's counting. One of my resolutions is to finally feel like my time is my own for the first time in my adult life. Take time to really watch sunrises and sunsets and the change of seasons. With the new-found time, I hope to spend more quality time with hubby and my friends and have the energy to give them all my complete attention. My quilting room will be the only office I'll be headed to and will give myself permission to play hookey any time I want. It's going to be one great year!

I want to simply slow down. When I have things to do - I tend to rush and get a bit freaked out until everything is done. Simple things like Make dinner, clean up after dinner, feed the dogs, take out the garbage. . it seems like I am always rushing. Although they may not be fun things - I want to try and just relax about the everyday tasks.

I also want to stop using sassy language. I actually try that resolution often. . .same with not needing Starbucks as often as I do.

I love the be more positive one. I will start that one tomorrow!

I want to continue to work on my UFO's, re-organize and de-clutter my sewing and quilting areas, and do more Bible studying.
    I feel blessed to be alive each day, and to be able to share joy with others.
    I really want to make a few things for ME! Like: a couple of quilts, a new pin cushion, an apron, etc. Put myself on my important list!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Try paper piecing, reorganize studio

My new years resolution is to keep my house cleaner! You know we quilters don't spend as much time cleaning as we should.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Bueniebabe View Post
    keep buying fabric LOL
    That one is just too easy, and I like it. Can I use it also?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast