Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking quilting class from instructors that have never won a quilting award. >

Taking quilting class from instructors that have never won a quilting award.

Taking quilting class from instructors that have never won a quilting award.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

I've noticed differences in teachers by watching Bluprint. Some are amazing and others not so.........
Old 08-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Most of the classes I take, the instructors are not big show winners and that may be because they don't enter. I could care less as long as I learn what was being offered in the class I signed up for.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:53 AM

When I started quilting in the late 70s there were very few quilt stores or classes. My mom never quilted but was an excellent seamstress so I learned the basics from her. I also took sewing in Home Economics in high school, (I don't think they offer that anymore, which is too bad).

The best thing I ever did was pursue a certificate in clothing design and construction from our local community college. The courses were well taught and comprehensive.

Sewing is sewing and learning the "right way" to do it makes a huge difference. Because of my education I know how to do everything from sketching out designs, making patterns, estimating materials, selecting fabric, layout, cutting accurately, sewing by hand and machine, (including beading and needle turn applique), fitting, and finishing.

Whenever anyone asks me which quilting classes to take I always tell them to take some sewing and clothing construction classes first. Even if you aren't interested in making clothing, it's the best way to develop a great sewing skill set.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:10 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
First of all, I'd like to say that a lot of the lesser-knowns or even unknowns are great teachers.
They should not be discounted as being lesser-than those with the big names!

Too, I have had classes with a couple of big names and oh what a disaster ...
TBH they did not have what it takes to make a class successful.
Agree.

The skill set required to win an award at a quilt show is not at all the same skill set needed to teach. Some instructors have both, but considering the awards are usually a judge's opinion for a quilt meeting particular criteria unless the award was for the teaching skill set it would not play into my consideration for a class.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:09 AM

I'm self-taught and don't really have time for classes because I still work full time. Plus I'm just not really a "class" person. I have taken two classes from nationally-know and award winning quilters and both were a total waste of time and money.

One was a class to get ideas on how to quilt your tops, based on the piecing and how the quilt was going to be used. It ended up being a class where she spent fully 75% of the two hour class time talking about her family, her grandkids, and upcoming trips with the family and grandkids. I was livid but it was the first class I had ever attended and I thought they all went that way. I found out later that this was not how it was supposed to be. I think she could have been a very good teacher based on the bits she actually stayed on subject but I'm not inclined to take another class from her again.

The second class was advertised as a way to learn to piece faster and more precisely. I should have known... it was simply a way for her to sell her very block-specific rulers and cutting tools. I only paid $35 for the class but she was a horrible teacher, even if you had her tools. She kept getting flustered and could not properly demonstrate her own rulers and tools!!! She was snippy with some of the people who had questions, but at least she stayed on the subject. After these two classes, I'll stick with You-Tube videos and spend the money on books.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:26 PM

Some just have better teaching skills than others. Doesn't matter if they're famous or not.

Those winning quilts can take 8 hours a day for a whole year! I know I could never do that -- I've got a mortgage to pay.

The "national teachers" are pretty great! But you'll pay bigger bucks to take their classes. Some are the sweetest people you'll ever meet and some are "divas." They're just like the rest of us.