Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you name your sewing machine(s)? >

Did you name your sewing machine(s)?

Did you name your sewing machine(s)?

Old 09-29-2019, 04:16 AM

I'd never named any of my machines till now when folks were talking about it. Named my Epic......Stella after a cat I befriended and brought up from Florida to Iowa with me. She had some sort of congestive illness unbeknown to me as she had been a neighbor's cat but I knew they would dump her when they moved so I asked if I could have her. She'd been coming over to eat at my house anyway so figured she was mine. Anyway, she died shortly after we moved up here so this is a tribute to her.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:44 AM

I just named mine earlier this year. Howard is my first FW, named after my dad who bought it for me at a flea market in the mid-1980's for $15. Irene is a FW inherited from my MIL who didn't like her middle name Irene and never admitted to it. Perverse of me to name it Irene, I suppose. Then there's Vonnie, a wonderful friend who thought I should buy a new Pfaff in the late 1990's. There's Suzanne, named after a friend who visits her parents in Melbourne which is where I bought it. Then there's the Eversewn which I named Stetson, because I bought it in DeLand where Stetson University is located. That's it!
Old 09-29-2019, 06:51 AM

My machines have a variety of names. 'The one mom gave me', 'long neck', 'brothers and sister', (2 seperate machines). Then there is 'white and light', 'little singer', '46'er', 'tag-a-long', 'Kenny', 'Mindy', 'homey', 'Juki'. 'treadle' and my newest addition my featherweight that has not been named yet. I have not thought of a good name for 'her' yet. Not fancy names but at least I know what machine I am looking at.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:39 AM

I have named mine. First Kathryn, for my grandma who instilled the love of sewing. Then I began alternating boy/girl names, like tropical storms. (Think: condition of sewing room in the middle of a project.)

So there’s Kathryn, Kenny, Kelly, Kris Kringle, Kimmie,Kevin, and K8.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:44 AM

Mine does not have a name...normally. But there a variety of names that I use when I don't notice i run out of bobbin thread and keep sewing, when something knots up, but mostly when I have to rethread it! Those names will not be named here.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:10 AM

Reader1, have you seen the t-shirt that says "It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out"?

When I showed that to my hubby I'm all giggling and snorting and he just gave me that patient perplexed look

One of the ones I got says: It's ok if you think sewing is boring, it's sort of a smart people hobby. I'm slightly more direct than passive-aggressive!
Old 09-29-2019, 11:03 AM

My new Bernina in 1984 was named Bernadette. I have not landed on a new name for my 770. I just got a Qnique that we are calling Ellie Mae. My hubs named her that because i ordered some clamps to hold fabric. I told him they were to clamp it to the rail. He says, like Ellie Mae? And it stuck
Old 09-29-2019, 12:57 PM

I recently named my Janome 9400 Sophie, after my Mom who bought me my first machine back in the mid 60’s. It was a very fancy Singer Touch & Sew. She was so excited that I was learning to sew and supported me wholeheartedly. What a wonderful gift she gave me in providing me that opportunity and now I think of her every time I turn my machine on.

Iceblossom - It’s sort of a smart person hobby is too funny! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 09-29-2019, 04:49 PM

I have three 301's. The last one I purchased is named "Miss Alabama'' because she is beautiful and came from Alabama. I frequently talk to my machines when I am using them. My New Home is "Newbie" because she was "new in box when I purchased her on eBay. My other machines do not have names as yet. When I have room to setup more of my machines, they will all have names they have chosen.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:14 PM

There was a thread like this several years ago. I had never thought about naming my machine until I read the thread. I decided to name my machine "Joy" because she gives me joy. Earlier this year I purchased an embroidery machine with some $ my Mother left me (she passed away last December). So I named that one "Marg". Mother's name was Margie but when she was on a mission (as we called it) we would laugh and say "Marg is in charge".