Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wool pressing mat >

wool pressing mat

wool pressing mat

Old 09-29-2019, 04:49 AM

Default wool pressing mat

I got talked into buying a wool pressing mat at our quilt show yesterday. Did I goof?

Dina
Old 09-29-2019, 05:16 AM

I don't think so. I bought one this summer and I've only used it at my one retreat so far. But, I know I'm going to love it when I get back to my winter house. I didn't bring it back with me to the cabin. At the retreat I set it right next to my machine and I'm amazed at how often I used it while I was sewing. I didn't have to get up every time I needed to press a seam so it's going to save me a ton of steps. I suppose I won't be getting so many steps so that might not be good health wise.

I have heard of people saying that when the mats get wet they smell like wet wool (sheep) so I've decided to only use my iron dry. That's no change for me because all irons leak at some point so I don't put water in mine. If I need any moisture, I use Best Press or the home version of it.

I can't wait to hear how you like your new mat. Congrats!
Old 09-29-2019, 05:23 AM

I love mine and it really presses my seams more flat. I keep mine on my ironing board and I don’t use it with steam.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:32 AM

I purchased one at a local quilt show about a year ago and keep it right by my piecing machine. I usually use a dry iron to press my blocks in progress but do keep a spray bottle of water handy to mist any deep creases. I do like to use the wool mat, however, I have found that it makes my seams very flat for a few minutes but once the seams cool off they tend to "warp", so I press and sew, press and sew.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I have one big on my ironing board, one in my retreat/class tote, one by my machine, I really like them. I use a silicone baking sheet underneath the ones on not on the ironing board to keep the heat and steam away from the surface.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:11 AM

I have one sitting in the sun with some fre-breeze. LOL! I'm a steamer and it has a slight smell. Not sure yet about it.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

It does smell like sheep because it's 100% wool. If livestock smells bothers you then don't get one. It's like being at the livestock area at the fair but not as strong of course. I don't notice it much with use.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:22 AM

As with most tools, it's all about personal preference. I have a wool mat and like it. However, I was curious about whether it really did improve my pressing, so I sewed 2 identical blocks, pressed one on the wool mat and the other on a fluffy bath towel I'd folded in half. I threw them both over my shoulder onto the floor behind me so I wouldn't know which one was which (my son witnessed this and couldn't figure out what I was doing ) and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them.

However, you've already purchased it, so isn't it a little late to be questioning yourself?
Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 AM

Bought one recently and I love it!

I use mine with steam and prop it up somewhere to dry if it seems wet.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I love mine and use it daily. It is great when I’m pressing blocks.